Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Favorite Non-Oils Music

Brian Jacobs suncrush@lycos.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:44:18 +1200

Another survey thread.  This one is about your favorite non-Oils music.  I'm bored with my present collection of cd's, and this is a way to get suggestions on what to listen to.  Midnight Oil, MO albums and MO songs are not valid answers to the questions.  If you break this rule, I will send a hoarde of highly trained vicious attack monkeys after you.

The questions: (I've added short explanations.  You don't have to if you don't want to or don't have time.)

Favorite Artist:
U2.
I know it's white bread with mayonnaise, but I like them, so shut up.  ;-)

Favorite Album:
Best of the 80s: Cutting Crew.
These guys put out some killer songs, despite having only one big hit with "(I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight".  That album alone (The Broadcast) had seven or eight great songs, most of which are on the hits.  "Any Colour" is my favorite love song ever, full of passion and devotion, and also a hard-edged, guitar-driven anthem.

Favorite Song:
U2 "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)"
In truth, this answer changes almost daily, but this song is always near the top.  I love the lyric, "I remember when we could sleep on stones, now we lie together in whispers and moans.  When I was so messed up I had opera in my head, your love was a lightbulb hanging over my bed."

Favorite album by a female artist:
Sarah McLachlan, "Mirrorball."
This is basically the only album I own where I don't skip any tracks.

Favorite song by a female artist:
Dido "Anyway"
This is a bonus track at the end of a Dynamite Hack album.  Dynamite Hack sucks, but this track alone is worth buying the album for.  It's a cover of a punk tune, and Dido's version is a heart-wrenchingly beautiful tribute to friends left behind.

Favorite Performance by a solo artist:
Bruce Springsteen: "Streets of Philadelphia"
This song still tugs at me every time I hear it.  Sting has some noteworthy songs as well that I nearly picked.

Favorite rock song:
Bon Jovi: "I'd Die for You"
This was hard.  There were about a million songs I could have picked.  In the end I went with this one because it was the first rock song I ever heard, and it hooked me on the genre hard.  Plus, I still love it.

Favorite rap/hip-hop song:
Wyclef Jean: "Gone 'til November"
Shootyz Groove: "L Train"
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy: "Everyday Life has Become a Health Risk"
I just couldn't decide between these three great songs.

Favorite country song:
Garth Brooks: "The River"
Advice I need to hear on a regular basis.  His "We Shall be Free" is also excellent.

Favorite metal/industrial/elektronika song:
KMFDM "Anarchy"
What a great song.  Oh yes, so good.  You could debate the meaning endlessly, I see it as a song by a liberal Christian who is angry with fundamentalist Christian politicians who have highjacked the religion to do some very un-Christian things.  This is a personal pet peeve of mine.

Favorite "not-so serious" artist:
Barenaked Ladies.
Hee hee, these guys make me laugh.

Best music to celebrate to:
Mr. Mister: "Kyrie"
I blast this song at about 11 whenever I finish major assignments, or achieve other great things.

Best music after a crappy, crappy day:
Jewel: "This Way"
Counting Crows: "August and Everything After"
It depends on the source of the trouble.  If my troubles have to with women (all too common a case lately, it seems.  *sigh*) I avoid Jewel like the plague.

Best music to fall in love to:
U2: "Can't Help Falling in Love"
Donna Lewis: "I Love You"
The first simply takes my breath away.  On the other hand, if a girl called a radio station and had the second dedicated to me, I'd ask her to marry me on the spot.

Best music to pump you up:
Bon Jovi: "Raise Your Hands"
I blast this before every sports match I play.  Gets the fire in my blood raging.

Best music to mellow out to:
Primitive Radio Gods: "Standing Outside a Phone Booth..."
A strange, strange, beautiful, strange song.  It's a good one before I go to bed.

Most emotional music:
The national anthem of South Africa
Puts a lump in my throat.  Especially if you get a version in Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans and English.

Best song/album from the 60s or before:
Byrds: "Mr. Tambourine Man" segued into "Turn, Turn, Turn"
These are quite honestly the only Byrds songs I know, but they're quite excellent.

70s:
Joan Baez "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"
I don't listen to 70s music, and can't think of anything I really like except this song, which I believe may actually be from the early 80s.  But since my activities in the 70s were pretty much limited to pooping and drooling, I expect you to cut me some slack.

80s:
Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet"
The first record I ever owned (and yes I do mean record).  I've worn it out three times (vinyl and two casettes), and I presently own it on CD.

90s and 00s:
U2: "Achtung Baby"
12 Songs, 10 kick ass.  That's pretty good numbers.  And "Until the End of the World," "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," "The Fly," "Myseterious Ways," and "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" kick an awful lot of ass.  "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World" is another song to bear in mind if you're ever trying to melt my heart.

Best Soundtrack:
City of Angels
The only one I own, I don't tend to buy soundtrack albums.

Your current "guilty pleasure:"
Avril Lavigne: "Complicated"
I can't explain it, but I can't get enough.

Name one more song you like that you haven't mentioned yet:
Chumbawumba: "Farewell to the Crown"
These guys are so much more than "Tubthumping."  I get an immense kick out of playing this blatantly (and violently) anti-monarchy song for my royalist Kiwi friends.

That's enough I think.  Share 'em!

Brian
---
It's the rhythm of the sea
Lost islands of hope
It's the rhythm of the sea
Who will discover you?
     --Midnight Oil "Now or Never Land"

Play the Elvis® Scratch & Win for your chance to instantly win $10,000 Cash
- a 2003 Harley Davidson® Sportster® - 1 of 25,000 CD's - and more!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail_scratch_tl/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020801/index.asp?tc=7087