Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] 3-22-02 KFOG-FM CD -- weed & trade

leftjab leftjab@well.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:21:31 -0700

Hey everyone,

sorry for the delay in getting this out, but I was on vacation for a bit,
and I wanted to make sure I edited it as best I could.  This is a DAT
recording of an FM broadcast by KFOG of the free show they sponsored in
March, and they mixed it pretty well.  I've been digitially recording for
six years now, but I'm just getting somewhat adept at my computer editing
programs.  I posted last month about the need to edit KFOG noises out, and
about why reordering the show made sense, and here's a summary of that:

the original set list:

Redneck Wonderland
Too Much Sunshine
Bullroarer
Under the Overpass
Dreamworld
Luritja Way (Rob stand up kit, acoustic guitars)
Time to Heal ( " )
Golden Age ( " )
Short Memory ( " )
Blue Sky Mine (")
Say Your Prayers
Sometimes
Dead Heart
King of the Mountain
Forgotten Years
E: Beds are Burning

the KFOG  radiosetlist:
Beds
Luritja Way
Sometimes
Blue Sky Mine
Dreamworld (followed by Peter introducing "Luritja Way", but the song
immediately following is ...)
Say Your Prayers
Golden Age
Time to Heal
The Dead Heart
King of the Mountain >
Forgotten Years

although KFOG smoothed some of the crowd noise and segues between songs,
all but talked over songs a bit and announced their call letters between
songs, there were discernible breaks between almost all the songs (except
for King > Forgotten, which I kept intact and just broke up for CD indexing
purposes; one or two others have strange breaks) ...it was possible for me
to rearrange the song list in the order played in the show and have all of
the music that was played, with a little Sound Forge editing, and as few
KFOG sounds as possible, coming up with:

Dreamworld
Luritja Way
Time to Heal
Golden Age
Blue Sky Mine
Say Your Prayers
Sometimes
The Dead Heart
King of the Mountain >
Forgotten Years
E: Beds

I was thinking about treeing rather than weeding, but I concede to not
having the time to do all the work to set it up.  So I'm going to weed it
out to 6 people to start, if they all promise to copy it for at least 3
people.  I will weed again if demand is there and feedback is good about
the sound quality.  The friend with whom I went to the show thinks it
sounds fine (and his loud, union organizer voice is audible between songs),
but I want opinions from pickier fans ;)  I also welcome trades; I know
I've been a bit delinquent in completing correspondence with some of you
about proposed trades, and I will follow-up shortly (I don't empty my
in-boxes, particularly of such important e-mails).   If you respond, please
indicate whether you'd rather trade or help weed.

Thanks for all your patience.

Jonathan