Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Breathe (live versions)

Dan Heaton dnheaton@yahoo.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:57:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hey.  You know, Breathe is interesting because I
originally wasn't that impressed. The production
seemed pretty muddled, and certain songs (Sins of
Omission, Star of Hope, Common Ground) just didn't do
much for me.

However, they translate great when played live. Time
to Heal was one of my favorites at the May House of
Blues shows. I also love Bring on the Change from the
'96 Narrabean show, and even Sins of Omission sounds
much more powerful live.  E-Beat really rocks too.

I like the message of Surf's Up, but it doesn't rank
among my favorites. Same with Underwater.  They're
both solid tracks, but wouldn't make it onto a "best
of" mix tape.

I've always liked Bring on the Change and Home,
though.

I'm not sure I could rank it as their worst album, but
it does have a few songs that I still skip.  It does
provide a very interesting counterpoint to Redneck,
and ESM before it.

Cheers,

Dan

Yahoo! - We Remember