Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Least favorite Oils tracks

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:28:54 +0800

At 08-09-02 02:10 PM -0400, GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote:
>Has to be "Outbreak of Love." Couldn't believe it. Not only were they
>using that verboten word in the title, but the soft dreamy quality just
>didn't sound like them to me. I suppose this would have been a fine record
>if put out by anybody else. But I remember wondering what the heck they
>were thinking, if they were just desperately trying to get a hit single,
>or what.

check out the video on the 20000WRSL DVD and it'll be pretty clear if they
were serious or not!

I've never been big on the E&S&M album myself.  Feeding Frenzy and My
Country were instant favourites, but much of the rest sounded all a bit the
same to me.  Live versions of "Now Or Never Land" have since turned me onto
that track as well.

Thanks to the people who said they didn't much like the Blue Meanie - you
inspired me to put it on in the car today.  Described by Rob as "all
cymbals, white noise and guitar", but "a pretty good representation of what
the band was like at the time".  I love it - and I'd love to have been at
one of those early gigs.  I mean the energy level at an Oils show is pretty
high these days, imagine what it was like then!  For those who said there's
too much "wanky guitar" and everyone trying to play faster than each other,
again I direct you to the Used and Abused video on the DVD.  Martin's
guitar stance is an absolute classic, while Rob does indeed seem to be
trying to play faster than is humanly possible.  And I reckon that's
absolutely fantastic - again, the energy level is awesome!  There's nothing
wrong with a bit of that, as long as it's not all you do over the course of
a 25 year career.

jeff...