Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Kiss That Girl

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:23:36 -0330 (NST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Kiri W wrote:

> Not all Oils songs have to be in your face hard driving masterpieces. I like
> "Kiss That Girl" It was on the original track listing and I was disappointed
> when it didn't turn up on the Oz release. I listen to the live version they
> did in 2001 and can't wait to hear it done properly on disc. Why don't you
> wait and see how the studio version sounds before bashing it? Course I like
> Breathe as well, and we all know how that gets bashed.

OK, below is my full original message reacting to KtG:

> KISS THAT GIRL!?!?!?!  WHAT the HELL!?!?!  This has gotta be a cover,
> 'cause I can't imagine the Oils writing a song with such a banal
> title!
>
> Of course, it may be a tremendously poetic treatise on love, full of
> Oil-y musical goodness, but I somehow doubt it....(though hope springs
> eternal!)

So, yes, I was pessimistic, because the image the title gives is a pretty
worn-out pop cliche.  Therefore I assumed it was a cover, and therefore
probably not a great song.  However, I did provide a caveat that it might
be a great Oils tracks with a lame or ironic title, though I doubted it as
I had already leapt to the ill-founded conclusion that it was a cover of
some kind.

Now, having discovered that it is an Oils original, that various
powderworkers have described as both "upbeat" and "dirge-like", I'm
actually quite eager to hear the song.

So, am I still allowed to count myself among the die-hards of Oils fandom?
;-)

Mike