Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] [Fwd: Coverage of Bali in the US media...]

craiggy@ozemail.com.au craiggy@ozemail.com.au
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:20:17 +1000

------=____1034922017413_4_2PF3)LpZ

I hope people are only tring to explain the US media behaviour (in regards to Bali), and not in any way justify it.

It seems to me the US media is scary beast indeed, hell bent on serving US elite business/power interests:

1) In Australia, we have had full coverage of Bali/Washington Sniper/Iraq/Al-qaeda, and had time for local issues so it proves that it CAN be done in western media.

2) The amount of time the US spends on justifying an attack on a 3rd world country in its blind defence of Israel is astounding.

3) New York, where my brother is studying is meant to one of the most internationally aware places in the US. The fact that this has slipped under the radar, to me means, that power interests in the US do not care about our part of the world as long as we keep in tow with them.

We looked after East Timor without US help, so maybe we should downgrade our alliance with the US.

I mean, if you reverse the argument, why should I care about some sniper in Washington? It is so far away from Australia, and in any case a result of childish gun laws. Maybe Australia shouldn't care about what happens to the US anymore.

At least the US make good movies about all their disasters I suppose.....

> [...]
>
> but it is true, Indonesia is not on the radar screen of the average
> American. i live in the San Francisco Bay Area and know a lot of travelers
> to SE Asia and Indonesia, and they have been more affected by it than other
> people.   the U.S. media has mostly shifted its focus to Iraq (and somewhat
> understandably so, given how potentially even more dangerous things are
> getting), al-Qaeda isn't as important anymore, and more general human
> suffering is virtually ignored as usual.  there is rarely coverage of
> Australia or Indonesia generally here, or of much of anything outside the
> U.S. unless it involves what are perceived to be our direct interests.
>
> ironically, i bet the U.S. government cares a bit more about the bombings
> than the media, not out of genuine sympathy for the victims, but because
> it's a reminder that they've really not made much progress in combatting
> such incidents, even though they were specifically warning the Indonesian
> government of threats beforehand.
>
> for a very cogent story on what the bombing means for Indonesia, and the
> link between the bombing and the fallout from a potential U.S. attack on
> Iraq, Salon.com is excellent as
> usual:  http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/10/16/indonesia/index.html
> but it's not about the horrific nature of the event.
>
> in terms of the Americanization/corporatization of the world, the two are
> closely linked but not quite one and the same.  many of us try to fight
> against or distance ourselves from what we perceive as damaging behavior in
> our societies, on an economic, environmental, spiritual, & personal
> level.   but even secular or leftist Westerners are not exempt from
> criticism, or attack, from certain extreme religious types.   drinking,
> dancing, and openly hanging out in mixed gender company are taboos in much
> of the world.
>
> but in the end, what's most important is that hundreds of innocent people
> had their lives ended or shattered in the most horrific of circumstances,
> and my heart goes out to everyone who suffered from the attack.
>
> Jonathan
>

> At 11:38 PM 10/17/02 -0400, Jeff Bond wrote:
> >Craig,
> >
> >Please tell your brother that I, at least share his pain.  I am every bit
> >as sorrowful over the loss of life due to terrorist activities in Bali as
> >I was (and am) here in America.  I don't need the media to tell me where
> >to place my priorities.  My thoughts and prayers have been with all who
> >have fallen.
> >
> >I just spent a week in the DC area on business, and I don't mind revealing
> >that I spent more than a passing moment at times thinking about how I
> >might be a sniper target.  Life is scary these days . . . everywhere.
> >
> >Your brother speaks of isolation.  Please encourage him to seek
> >counseling, or the support of similarly-concerned friends, or a church
> >group for young adults.  Give him my email address.  I'll be happy to

------=____1034922017413_4_2PF3)LpZ

let me second what Jeff said about sharing the pain.&nbsp; the attack did
bring me back to the post 9/11 feeling of helplessness, and i've been sad
about it this week.&nbsp; <br><br>
but it is true, Indonesia is not on the radar screen of the average
American. i live in the San Francisco Bay Area and know a lot of
travelers to SE Asia and Indonesia, and they have been more affected by
it than other people.&nbsp;&nbsp; the U.S. media has mostly shifted its
focus to Iraq (and somewhat understandably so, given how potentially even
more dangerous things are getting), al-Qaeda isn't as important anymore,
and more general human suffering is virtually ignored as usual.&nbsp;
there is rarely coverage of Australia or Indonesia generally here, or of
much of anything outside the U.S. unless it involves what are perceived
to be our direct interests.<br><br>
ironically, i bet the U.S. government cares a bit more about the bombings
than the media, not out of genuine sympathy for the victims, but because
it's a reminder that they've really not made much progress in combatting
such incidents, even though they were specifically warning the Indonesian
government of threats beforehand.&nbsp; <br><br>
for a very cogent story on what the bombing means for Indonesia, and the
link between the bombing and the fallout from a potential U.S. attack on
Iraq, Salon.com is excellent as usual:&nbsp;
but it's not about the horrific nature of the event.<br><br>
in terms of the Americanization/corporatization of the world, the two are
closely linked but not quite one and the same.&nbsp; many of us try to
fight against or distance ourselves from what we perceive as damaging
behavior in our societies, on an economic, environmental, spiritual,
&amp; personal level.&nbsp;&nbsp; but even secular or leftist Westerners
are not exempt from criticism, or attack, from certain extreme religious
types.&nbsp;&nbsp; drinking, dancing, and openly hanging out in mixed
gender company are taboos in much of the world.&nbsp; <br><br>
but in the end, what's most important is that hundreds of innocent people
had their lives ended or shattered in the most horrific of circumstances,
and my heart goes out to everyone who suffered from the attack.<br><br>
Jonathan<br><br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
At 11:38 PM 10/17/02 -0400, Jeff Bond wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Please tell your brother that I, at least share his pain.&nbsp; I am
every bit as sorrowful over the loss of life due to terrorist activities
in Bali as I was (and am) here in America.&nbsp; I don't need the media
to tell me where to place my priorities.&nbsp; My thoughts and prayers
have been with all who have fallen.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I just spent a week in the DC area on business, and I don't mind
revealing that I spent more than a passing moment at times thinking about
how I might be a sniper target.&nbsp; Life is scary these days . . .
everywhere.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Your brother speaks of isolation.&nbsp; Please encourage him to seek
counseling, or the support of similarly-concerned friends, or a church
group for young adults.&nbsp; Give him my email address.&nbsp; I'll be
happy to correspond with him.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Rgrds, Jeff<br>
&nbsp;
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:powderworks@cs.colorado.edu">powderworks@cs.colorado.edu</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:44 PM

<dd>Workers,
<dd>My brother studies in NYC, and he comes from Melbourne and is Australian. He wrote the message below. He feels extremely let down by the US media in its coverage of the Bali bombings... please forward on, so some people get the real news.

<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;Dear Friend,
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;On Saturday night two car bombs exploded in Bali, Indonesia.&nbsp; If you caught
<dd>&gt; &gt;a brief glance at Sunday's news you may have seen a short glimpse of the
<dd>&gt; &gt;inferno.&nbsp; The networks reported that &quot;two US citizens were presumed dead&quot;
<dd>&gt; &gt;and then briskly moved on to other stories.&nbsp; Tonight, Tuesday, I've just
<dd>&gt; &gt;sat through a broadcast where the event was not mentioned once...but I
<dd>&gt; &gt;learned all about the &quot;Fried Twinkie&quot; craze that has swept across New York.
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;The facts are these: The terrorist bombs directly targeted a packed
<dd>&gt; &gt;nightclub patroned only by tourists.&nbsp; Over 200 Australians are missing,
<dd>&gt; &gt;feared dead, and hundreds and hundreds more are severely burned.&nbsp; Many had
<dd>&gt; &gt;their clothes burned completely off their body, some are reportedly so
<dd>&gt; &gt;badly burned that there is no skin left on their bodies to use as skin
<dd>&gt; &gt;grafts.&nbsp; The football season has recently ended in Australia and dozens and
<dd>&gt; &gt;dozens of teams (both local and professional) were celebrating in Bali.&nbsp; A
<dd>&gt; &gt;great many of the victims are young kids in their twenties.
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;Australia has spent the last year openly weeping for New York City.&nbsp; I've
<dd>&gt; &gt;heard repeatedly about the nationwide day of mourning that was marked
<dd>&gt; &gt;recently back home on the first anniversary of 9/11.&nbsp; Australia is
<dd>&gt; &gt;currently experiencing the most horrific loss of life it has EVER
<dd>&gt; &gt;experienced outside of wartime.&nbsp; Dozens of British, New Zealand and
<dd>&gt; &gt;Indonesian citizens have also perished.&nbsp; And yet I live in a city where
<dd>&gt; &gt;most people, three days later, don't even realize what has happened.
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;The media here is doing your country and its friends a disgusting injustice
<dd>&gt; &gt;right now through the priorities it has established for itself and enforced
<dd>&gt; &gt;on you.&nbsp; Worldwide awareness is just so important during a tragedy such as
<dd>&gt; &gt;this.&nbsp; Sadly, the media in the USA don't seem to give a damn about what
<dd>&gt; &gt;happens outside these shores.&nbsp; I know that you, as my friend, are not so
<dd>&gt; &gt;ignorant.
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;I ask only that you forward this email onto the people you value in your
<dd>&gt; &gt;life.&nbsp; They should know about an event such as this.&nbsp; If anyone wants to
<dd>&gt; &gt;learn anymore about what has happened, the BBC website -&nbsp;
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;America has always regarded Australia as its &quot;Little Brother&quot; in the
<dd>&gt; &gt;world...a role we've been happy to take.&nbsp; We've supported you, we've bled
<dd>&gt; &gt;for you, we've wept for you...
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;Right now your little brother is bruised and bleeding in the gutter and the
<dd>&gt; &gt;people responsible for informing you of what has happened don't give a god
<dd>&gt; &gt;damn.&nbsp; My heart is sinking fast, but I knew it was important for me to send
<dd>&gt; &gt;this message in the hope of spreading some awareness and ending some of the
<dd>&gt; &gt;isolation I'm experiencing right now as an Aussie living in America.
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;May all this terror end soon,
<dd>&gt; &gt;
<dd>&gt; &gt;Always,
<dd>&gt; &gt;Andrew Lawton
<dd>&gt; &gt;