Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The first of two messages about international relations and law

Virgil Thomas Alexander Morant v-morant@onu.edu
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:35:01 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C2758E.2C789120

Well, just when I thought about eight months ago that I was getting back =
into things here, I wound up getting bogged down and didn't say a second =
thing.  But I feel that a belated offer of congratulations is in order =
on an Australian, albeit not Midnight Oil subject, as I start to post =
again.

I was happy to see the moot court team from the University of Western =
Australia take second place in the Philip C. Jessup International Law =
Moot Court Competition in Washington, D.C., last spring.  I wanted to =
say something about it back then, but I was just too lazy or distracted =
by other things.

My own opinion in that final round was that Western Australia should =
have won, but the team from South Africa had a very theatrical oralist, =
and he wound up winning the day for his team by his sheer charm.  The =
Australians knew the law better and spoke eloquently on it, though, and =
at least one of their team members, Lorraine van der Ende, won Best =
Oralist.  My own view was that Western Australia did a better job =
overall than the University of Witwatersrand.  Both were very good, =
though, and it was fun to watch, as these international law competitions =
usually are.

None of the honors are any small thing for law students, by the way.  =
The Jessup is the largest moot court competition in the world.  =
Congratulations to last year's team from down under.

I wonder if Peter Garrett ever considered competing in the Jessup, when =
he was a law student.

Would that Australia sends us some more excellent competitors for our =
competition this year.

-Virgil.

------=_NextPart_000_00CA_01C2758E.2C789120

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Well, just when I thought about eight months ago that I was getting =
back=20
into things here, I wound up getting bogged down and didn't say a second =

thing.&nbsp; But I feel that a belated offer of congratulations is in =
order on=20
an Australian, albeit not Midnight Oil subject, as I start to post =
again.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I was happy to see the moot court team from the University of =
Western=20
Australia take second place in the Philip C. Jessup International Law =
Moot Court=20
Competition in Washington, D.C., last spring.&nbsp; I wanted to say =
something=20
about it back then, but I was just too lazy or distracted by other =
things.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My own opinion in that final round was that Western Australia =
should have=20
won, but the team from South Africa had a very theatrical oralist, and =
he wound=20
up winning the day for his team by his sheer charm.&nbsp; The =
Australians knew=20
the law better and spoke eloquently on it, though, and at least one of =
their=20
team members, Lorraine van der Ende, won Best Oralist.&nbsp;&nbsp;My own =
view=20
was that Western Australia did a better job overall than the University =
of=20
Witwatersrand.&nbsp; Both were very good, though, and it was fun to =
watch, as=20
these international law competitions usually are.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>None of the honors are any small thing for law students, by the =
way.&nbsp;=20
The Jessup is the largest moot court competition in the world.&nbsp;=20
Congratulations to last year's team from down under.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I wonder if Peter Garrett ever considered competing in the Jessup, =
when he=20
was a law student.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Would that Australia sends us some more excellent competitors for =
our=20
competition this year.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-Virgil.</DIV></BODY></HTML>