Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Selling Out (NMOC - Long Post)

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:19:26 EDT

--part1_18c.fb2e66a.2ad7811e_boundary

In a message dated 10/10/2002 7:52:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cooperseth@hotmail.com writes:

> What is an anti-patriotic Vietnam protest song was totally flipped around,
> and I imagine CCR fans having a bitter laugh over that one.
>
> Exit Artist Cue Entertainer cause someone Sold Out.
>

>From what I know about John Fogerty, I can't imagine him allowing this song
to be used in any commercial.  I believe he is in the same boat as Paul
McCartney and doesn't own the rights to his own songs, in John's case a
result
of a settlement from a long drawn out battle he had years ago with Fantasy
Records.  For years he wouldn't even play CCR songs in his solo concerts
because he didn't want to promote them for the company that he had such a
bitter parting with.  He finally changed his mind on this issue after playing

a few CCR tunes at a benefit for Vietnam Veterans.

That being said, he may still have allowed the song to be used, because the
performance is obviously CCR's.  Even though McCartney doesn't own his
own Beatles catalog anymore I believe he still has a say on the Beatle's
performances of those songs, thus commercials that use Beatle's songs don't
use the actual Beatle's performance of them.  Not sure what the situation is
with
Fogerty, but it is still possible that the song was used against his wishes.
I have
no doubt that the other two surviving members of CCR would probably approve
of the use of the song, so maybe even though John Fogerty controlled CCR
he lost out to the majority on this one because as far as the performance
of the song goes they are all equal owners.

Mike in L. A.

--part1_18c.fb2e66a.2ad7811e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/10/2002 7:52:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cooperseth@hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What is an anti-patriotic Vietnam protest song was totally flipped around, <BR>
and I imagine CCR fans having a bitter laugh over that one.<BR>
<BR>
Exit Artist Cue Entertainer cause someone Sold Out.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
>From what I know about John Fogerty, I can't imagine him allowing this song<BR>
to be used in any commercial.&nbsp; I believe he is in the same boat as Paul <BR>
McCartney and doesn't own the rights to his own songs, in John's case a result <BR>
of a settlement from a long drawn out battle he had years ago with Fantasy<BR>
Records.&nbsp; For years he wouldn't even play CCR songs in his solo concerts<BR>
because he didn't want to promote them for the company that he had such a <BR>
bitter parting with.&nbsp; He finally changed his mind on this issue after playing <BR>
a few CCR tunes at a benefit for Vietnam Veterans. <BR>
<BR>
That being said, he may still have allowed the song to be used, because the <BR>
performance is obviously CCR's.&nbsp; Even though McCartney doesn't own his <BR>
own Beatles catalog anymore I believe he still has a say on the Beatle's performances of those songs, thus commercials that use Beatle's songs don't use the actual Beatle's performance of them.&nbsp; Not sure what the situation is with <BR>
Fogerty, but it is still possible that the song was used against his wishes.&nbsp; I have <BR>
no doubt that the other two surviving members of CCR would probably approve<BR>
of the use of the song, so maybe even though John Fogerty controlled CCR <BR>
he lost out to the majority on this one because as far as the performance <BR>
of the song goes they are all equal owners.<BR>
<BR>
Mike in L. A. <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_18c.fb2e66a.2ad7811e_boundary--