Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Reasons and reactions

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:47:31 EST

--part1_95.250b9299.2af4c0f3_boundary

Andre,
Your tone (and question) sounds reasonable enough to me.
And I also believe that European fans deserve some kind of explanation, if
not great and excruciating detail...and an apology...and a promise (to be
kept!) to come and play soon. To have tours cancelled after tickets have
already gone on sale has got to be incredibly disappointing and angering,
esp. if one has made all the other complicated arrangements and laid out
money.
And we know how difficult it is to get back 'handling fees' (ugh).
Frankly, having known Mr. Morris, I'm rather surprised that he took the time
to reply personally, even if he didn't offer to shed any light on the
situation. If his response had what you characterize as a hostile tone -- I
really don't think it had anything to do with you personally.
I do know that there are often differences of opinion between performers and
managers regarding the best way to operate their mutual business. Often
managers are given the burden of being the bad guy while the performers are
able to hold themselves above the fray; and other times, managers think
they're bigger and more important than the acts they work for, and behave in
ways their clients would never dream of countenancing...if they were even
aware of what was going on.
I'm not saying that either of these scenarios is the case here; it's just an
observation I can make after long experience in the music world.
In any case, I agree that this is at the very least a PR problem that's being
handled badly.
My sincere sympathies to all the European fans, with hopes that you'll
continue to be fans, and will have your loyalty rewarded very soon!

--part1_95.250b9299.2af4c0f3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Andre,<BR>
Your tone (and question) sounds reasonable enough to me.<BR>
And I also believe that European fans deserve some kind of explanation, if not great and excruciating detail...and an apology...and a promise (to be kept!) to come and play soon. To have tours cancelled after tickets have already gone on sale has got to be incredibly disappointing and angering, esp. if one has made all the other complicated arrangements and laid out money.<BR>
And we know how difficult it is to get back 'handling fees' (ugh).<BR>
Frankly, having known Mr. Morris, I'm rather surprised that he took the time to reply personally, even if he didn't offer to shed any light on the situation. If his response had what you characterize as a hostile tone -- I really don't think it had anything to do with you personally.<BR>
I do know that there are often differences of opinion between performers and managers regarding the best way to operate their mutual business. Often managers are given the burden of being the bad guy while the performers are able to hold themselves above the fray; and other times, managers think they're bigger and more important than the acts they work for, and behave in ways their clients would never dream of countenancing...if they were even aware of what was going on.<BR>
I'm not saying that either of these scenarios is the case here; it's just an observation I can make after long experience in the music world.<BR>
In any case, I agree that this is at the very least a PR problem that's being handled badly.<BR>
My sincere sympathies to all the European fans, with hopes that you'll continue to be fans, and will have your loyalty rewarded very soon!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>