Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Reasons and reactions

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:13:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Nov 1, afromme@gmx.de wrote:

> On the one hand, I was rather upset when I wrote it (which was about 10,
> maybe 15 seconds after I got the news), on the other hand, I still don't
> think I
> was being totally impolite or rude, just very clearly expressing
> disappointment and hope for new tour dates soon.

Good for you Andre - I'm 100% behind any effort to find out why we were
led up the garden path in this way.

> He also expressed his feeling that in fact he didn't think I personally and
> I as a fan had much of a right to even ASK for reasons and he considered
> this
> a little too "demanding".

Demanding my arse! Sometimes I think that bands and their entourage are
usually in some way indebted to the very people who buy their material and
make it possible for them to continue in the music business.

Granted, European fans don't bring in as much income for the band as other
territories. But every European fan that has bought albums, and spread the
word, deserves to be treated to a basic human right - information.

This attitude from Mr Morris disgusts me. I have promoted this band on the
Internet since 1996. I have tried my best to provide information about
what was happening with the band, and point people to sources where they
can obtain the latest (and old/hard to find) material. Is it too much to
ask for something I can pass onto the people who have been let down.

A lot of people in Europe have been very disappointed. It's possible that
there are other people like me who may have made arrangements to see the
band whether it be travel arrangements, or taking leave from work. (Some
might say I/we jumped the gun somewhat - hmmmm, let's see, I was able to
buy tickets - it's usually a good sign!)

We deserve some sort of acknowledgement, an apology, and a pledge to
honour their empty promise to play Europe in 2002.

> Now I am not giving you any interpretation on this (other than that mainly
> his tone was pretty hostile); instead, I'd like to know what you think of it
> - fully aware that this just might result in some severe bashing of myself.

There should be no bashing. Either way.

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly@deadheart.org.uk