Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Amazing NY show!

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 15:27:03 -0400

--=====================_1924043758==_.ALT

Ugh.  After a three-hour nap I now have a sore neck from bouncing around
and that ever so lovely "shouldn't have rehydrated myself with beer after
the show" feeling.

But there is very little I would trade the last crazy 24 hours or so
for.  Precious time indeed.  Even waiting "on line" (as it were) was made
far more enjoyable by all the cool powderworkers I met there ... it was a
travelling cocktail party waiting for the band ... although few would touch
a drop before the show.  I'm glad to have met so many I've only seen in
cyberspace before ... some going as far back as my previous powderworks
stint.  The waiting was also worth talking to Bones and Rob who were plenty
happy to hang out and chat with fans before the show (and after).

Then there was the set.  It doesn't get much better than that.  I, like
Nina and Rhonda, was just in front of Jim and Bones and enjoyed every
moment of it.  So much energy going back and forth!  Sometimes I would just
chill out and watch Jim apply carefully orchestated noises in a perfectly
timed manner.  Most of the time I just bobbed up and down as though the
stage were an edge of a pool.

And I'd never been to an after party before and been able to hang out with
the band and all of that ... certainly a new space for me!  I had fun just
sitting around and watching the action going on around me if nothing else
... and went four for five on autographs (Peter appeared only very
briefly), and enjoyed chatting with Martin for some time, hanging out near
and with Rob and hassling Will Hoge after the show - gawd does that guy
make me feel old.  If you get the chance to go to one of these things, I do
recommend bringing your own pen along ... you will have lots of friends :-)

Now I just have to get my nose back to the grindstone.  Uggh.  Thanks to
Nina for the ride down in good company, Brigitte for the room and for being
such a good roommate, Rhonda for being such good company, and Powderworks
for making this oddball little community of people happen!

With Love, a light heart, and heavy head,
Kate

At 02:29 AM 5/25/02 -0400, GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote:
>They were SO on it tonight! And "Shakin' All Over" -- wow! Yeah, Will Hoge
>looked a little sheepish, but who wouldn't, standing in front of Midnight
>Oil and expected to sing along with Peter Garrett?!
> From where I was standing, I saw Bones playfully tug at Hoge's jeans,
> which were already sagging halfway off.
>Jim had a little trouble with his guitar on "King of the Mountain," where
>it seemed he was playing in a different key than everybody else, but the
>band loved the room, and the energy in it. The crowd was NUTS, wonderfully
>so. New Yorkers can be cold, jaded and downright rude when they don't like
>something, but when they do -- they sure let you know it.
>I got to meet and bounce around with Kate and Nina, so that really added
>to my enjoyment..for once, I stood way up close (short people, y'know).
>They were kind enough to let me jam in behind 'em.
>Later, Bones told me that "since you were rocking out, I thought I might
>as well, too!"
>It was a great night. Wish all of you could have been there, just as I've
>wished I could have been at some of the shows you fine 'workers have been
>good enough to describe.
>Me, I'm too exhausted to write more. Glad I got to go!

Kate Adams
Graduate Student
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without all
those nasty responsibilities.
*****
--=====================_1924043758==_.ALT

Ugh.&nbsp; After a three-hour nap I now have a sore neck from bouncing
around and that ever so lovely &quot;shouldn't have rehydrated myself
with beer after the show&quot; feeling.<br>
But there is very little I would trade the last crazy 24 hours or so
for.&nbsp; Precious time indeed.&nbsp; Even waiting &quot;on line&quot;
(as it were) was made far more enjoyable by all the cool powderworkers I
met there ... it was a travelling cocktail party waiting for the band ...
although few would touch a drop before the show.&nbsp; I'm glad to have
met so many I've only seen in cyberspace before ... some going as far
back as my previous powderworks stint.&nbsp; The waiting was also worth
talking to Bones and Rob who were plenty happy to hang out and chat with
fans before the show (and after).<br>
Then there was the set.&nbsp; It doesn't get much better than that.&nbsp;
I, like Nina and Rhonda, was just in front of Jim and Bones and enjoyed
every moment of it.&nbsp; So much energy going back and forth!&nbsp;
Sometimes I would just chill out and watch Jim apply carefully
orchestated noises in a perfectly timed manner.&nbsp; Most of the time I
just bobbed up and down as though the stage were an edge of a pool.<br>
And I'd never been to an after party before and been able to hang out
with the band and all of that ... certainly a new space for me!&nbsp; I
had fun just sitting around and watching the action going on around me if
nothing else ... and went four for five on autographs (Peter appeared
only very briefly), and enjoyed chatting with Martin for some time,
hanging out near and with Rob and hassling Will Hoge after the show -
gawd does that guy make me feel old.&nbsp; If you get the chance to go to
one of these things, I do recommend bringing your own pen along ... you
will have lots of friends :-)<br>
Now I just have to get my nose back to the grindstone.&nbsp; Uggh.&nbsp;
Thanks to Nina for the ride down in good company, Brigitte for the room
and for being such a good roommate, Rhonda for being such good company,
and Powderworks for making this oddball little community of people
happen!<br>
With Love, a light heart, and heavy head,<br>
Kate<br>
At 02:29 AM 5/25/02 -0400, GrnVillageGirl@aol.com wrote:<br>
SO on it tonight! And &quot;Shakin' All Over&quot; -- wow! Yeah, Will
Hoge looked a little sheepish, but who wouldn't, standing in front of
Midnight Oil and expected to sing along with Peter Garrett?!<br>
 From where I was standing, I saw Bones playfully tug at Hoge's jeans,
which were already sagging halfway off.<br>
Jim had a little trouble with his guitar on &quot;King of the
Mountain,&quot; where it seemed he was playing in a different key than
everybody else, but the band loved the room, and the energy in it. The
crowd was NUTS, wonderfully so. New Yorkers can be cold, jaded and
downright rude when they don't like something, but when they do -- they
sure let you know it.<br>
I got to meet and bounce around with Kate and Nina, so that really added
to my enjoyment..for once, I stood way up close (short people, y'know).
They were kind enough to let me jam in behind 'em. <br>
Later, Bones told me that &quot;since you were rocking out, I thought I
might as well, too!&quot;<br>
It was a great night. Wish all of you could have been there, just as I've
wished I could have been at some of the shows you fine 'workers have been
good enough to describe.<br>
Me, I'm too exhausted to write more. Glad I got to
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
*********************************************************************************<br>
Kate Adams<br>
Graduate Student<br>
Department of Work Environment<br>
UMass Lowell<br>
Global Free Trade: All the economic benefits of colonialism, without
all<br>
those nasty responsibilities.<br>