Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Red Sails Is Hardly for Rock Gigs

The Oilman TheOilman@new.rr.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 19:45:48 -0500

I asked Martin about this in Chicago, since I was curious what they have and
have not played live. I have heard almost every song on Red Sails live
except for Bakerman and Bells. In the mid 80's Shipyards was a staple of the
live show along with Both Worlds, Sleep, Kosci and Minutes.  When I asked
Martin about songs such as Naked Flame, Basement Flat, Bells and Horns etc.
He said he doesn't think they have ever NOT played a song live. He said the
way they write and rehearse and roadtest their songs its a necessity for
their writing process. So Martin can't think of anything not played, hmmm,
wow, wish more people in Australia recorded shows! Damn, I would love to
hear some of those oldies done, especially something like Nothing Lost
Nothing Gained which they played in Australia in 1993 since I saw an
interview with Rob after that show and he said they played that that night
(wow!!).

Anyway, anyone wanting to hear a fair dose of live Red Sails should get a
hold of the Goat Island bootleg, either audio or video since a ton of people
on this list have it. It shoudl quench your appetite for some live RS
songs!!

Oilman