Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] clutch cargo/pontiac/detroit show

Seth Cooper cooperseth@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:55:43 +0000

My $0.02 on Detroit:

Great Show.  I went at the last minute but was glad I did.

>It looked like they were going to do another encore, the stage crew
>set everything back up for it, but they never came back out.  I think
>there were some sound problems all night, Peter kept going over to
>the sound guy and pointing to his ear like his earpiece wasn't
>working.  He also switched mics halfway through.

When Pete hit the harmonica a couple of times in BSM the sound was more like
a painful squeal.

>Highlight of the night was definitely Lucky Country.  that song is
>incredible.  The crowd went nuts after it, and I don't think it was
>because the crowd knew it before, it just simply rocked.  The band
>seemed quite surprised by the reaction.  Other new songs for me (as
>in never seen them live) E-beat, Now or never land, renaissance man,
>drums of heaven.

I requested Lucky Country at the 2nd Chi show!  Very serendipitous.  Pete
said something like "You may like this next song cause it has guitars in it"
but I like the Bones n' Rob harmony with Pete growling away underneath.
"On and on. . .there's a ribbon of road and a mile to spare."

C'est magnifique.

E-beat was cool too, and Drums of Heaven, the first single I heard on the
radio for ESM.  It was dedicated to someone, but I can't recall who.

I also liked Sometimes, dedicated to a group in the audience trying to
prevent the Yucca Mountain legislation from passing the Senate.  When the
band comes full on at the end of that song its. . .well its why they are the
best live band.  That much visceral energy from other bands always seems to
be accompanied by blind rage and/or hate.

SDC