Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Oils equipment

Lane, Andrew Andrew.Lane@experko.chh.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 11:18:54 +1000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1FAE5.50208D90

he doesnt need a double kick to play sleep, ive seen him do it with one
foot, if i practice it enough, i can do it but its not easy!!  would have
been great to see rob play some of the really old stuff from the blue album
on the 20,000 tour!  the double bass work on that album is really
incredible.  most of rob's kit is still ludwig, except that really old tom
he uses now, i think it is a leedy.  his snare is usually an old premier
snare from england.  i loved those old kits from the 10-1 and red sails era
(they were three 13" toms andrew!).  that is the great thing about rob, you
just can't predict what he is going to do next, but you can be assured it
will be inspirational!

andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: andrew pye [mailto:apye@bigpond.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 May 2002 8:41 AM
To: powderworks mail list
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Re: Oils equipment

Derek Wrote:

<And are Rob Hirst's drums still Ludwigs? He's changed his kit quite a bit
since the mid-'90s when I last saw the Oils live -- back then he had a much
bigger kit, with several drums flat across the front and his famous trash
can lids. Those are now gone for a single big rack tom in front. Back in '93
he said his old setup was a vintage Ludwig kit when the Oils played
acoustically on Canada's MuchMusic, but I don't know anything about the new
rig. It's a good setup, though: he gets lots of mileage out of a very
compact arrangement of drums, and you can see him play better than with his
old, bigger kit.>

Rob, at present, doesn't use a "kit" as such. His drums are made up of all
different pieces that he's collected over the years. Individual drums that
he liked the sound of and has put them together to create and customize his
"kit". Along with some junk he's found about the place like the water tank
and a set of old Dodge (I think - don't quote me on the make!) car springs!
Yes, car springs! Rather an obvious choice if you ever heard the percussive
nature of the suspension on my car! I read an interview not so long back
where he spoke about it - it was online and someone posted the link to it on
the list - sorry but I don't know it now or who sent it!

Personally I preferred his big black Ludwig kit (even though all his rack
toms were the same size! 14" from memory), and the set up he used on Goat
Island. He's pretty flamboyant and so seeing him never proved to be a
problem I didn't think! I also like the one he used on the 20,000 watt tour
with the double bass drums. Pitty he didn't use them! Was hoping they'd play
Sleep so he could show them off a bit!

DISCLAIMER:  This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, disclose, or use the contents
in any way.  Please also advise us by return e-mail that you have received the message
and then please destroy.  Carter Holt Harvey is not responsible for any changes made to
this message and/or any attachmentsafter sending by Carter Holt Harvey.  We use virus
scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or anything similar in this
email or any attachment.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1FAE5.50208D90

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4915.500" name=GENERATOR><!--IncrdiXMLRemarkStart>
<IncrdiX-Info>
<X-FID>FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-000000000000</X-FID>
<X-FVER></X-FVER>
<X-CNT>;</X-CNT>
</IncrdiX-Info>
<IncrdiXMLRemarkEnd--></HEAD>
<BODY
style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: 0px 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"
bgColor=#ffffff background="" scroll=yes X-FVER="2.0" ORGYPOS="0">
<DIV><SPAN class=066013123-13052002>he doesnt need a double&nbsp;kick to play
sleep, ive seen him do it with one foot, if i practice it enough, i can do it
but its not easy!!&nbsp; </SPAN><SPAN class=066013123-13052002>would have been
great&nbsp;to see rob play some of the really old stuff from the blue album on
the 20,000&nbsp;tour!&nbsp; the double bass work on that album is really
incredible.&nbsp; most of rob's kit is still ludwig, except that really old tom
he uses now, i think it is a leedy.&nbsp; his snare is usually an old premier
snare from england.&nbsp; i loved those old kits from the 10-1 and red sails era
(they were three 13" toms andrew!).&nbsp;&nbsp;that is the great thing about
rob, you just can't predict what he is going to do next, but you can be assured
it will be inspirational!</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=066013123-13052002>andrew</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT
face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> andrew pye
[mailto:apye@bigpond.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, 14 May 2002 8:41
AM<BR><B>To:</B> powderworks mail list<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Powderworks] Re:
Oils equipment<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<TABLE id=INCREDIMAINTABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD id=INCREDITEXTREGION
    style="PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"
    width="100%">
      <DIV>Derek Wrote:</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <P>&lt;And are Rob Hirst's drums still Ludwigs? He's changed his kit quite
      a bit<BR>since the mid-'90s when I last saw the Oils live -- back then he
      had a much<BR>bigger kit, with several drums flat across the front and his
      famous trash<BR>can lids. Those are now gone for a single big rack tom in
      front. Back in '93<BR>he said his old setup was a vintage Ludwig kit when
      the Oils played<BR>acoustically on Canada's MuchMusic, but I don't know
      anything about the new rig. It's a good setup, though: he gets lots of
      mileage out of a very<BR>compact arrangement of drums, and you can see him
      play better than with his old, bigger kit.&gt;</P>
      <P>Rob, at present, doesn't use a "kit" as such. His drums are made up of
      all different pieces that he's collected over the years. Individual drums
      that he liked the sound of and&nbsp;has put them together to create
      and&nbsp;customize his "kit".&nbsp;Along with some junk he's found about
      the place like the&nbsp;water tank and a set of old Dodge (I think - don't
      quote me on the make!)&nbsp;car springs! Yes, car springs! Rather an
      obvious choice if you ever heard the percussive nature of
      the&nbsp;suspension on my car!&nbsp;I read an interview not so long back
      where he spoke about it - it was online and someone posted the link to it
      on&nbsp;the list - sorry but I don't know it now or who sent it!</P>
      <P>Personally I preferred his big black&nbsp;Ludwig kit (even though all
      his rack toms were the same size! 14" from memory), and the set up he used
      on Goat Island. He's pretty flamboyant and so seeing him never proved to
      be a problem I didn't think! I also&nbsp;like the one he used on the
      20,000 watt tour with the double bass drums. Pitty he didn't use them! Was
      hoping they'd play Sleep so he could show them off a bit!</P></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD id=INCREDIFOOTER width="100%">
      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
        <TBODY>
        <TR>
          <TD width="100%"></TD>
          <TD id=INCREDISOUND vAlign=bottom align=middle></TD>
          <TD id=INCREDIANIM vAlign=bottom
  align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SPAN
id=IncrediStamp><SPAN dir=ltr><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
</BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1FAE5.50208D90--