Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] I've been away too long

msira@calis.com msira@calis.com
Thu, 09 May 2002 10:08:40 -0700 (PDT)

I was on the list many years ago, dropped off sometime after "Breathe" came out.
Well, I'm back annnddd....

I Finally got to see the Oils for the first time in SF!

I've been trying to see these guys since like, 1986.
Things that have prevented me:
- (in the early days) NOBODY liked the Oils.  I tried and tried to get somebody
to travel down to the city (I'm in Sacramento) to see them with me.  No
success.  I regret these the most, because I should've just gone by myself.
- Met girlfriend (future wife)
- Mysterious ailment that gave me such bad vertigo that I couldn't walk for days
- Had to propose to wife
- Birth of first child
- Birth of second child

I sware, It was like God was against me on getting to see Midnight Oil.
I thought I'd missed my last chance when I missed them in October.   I was
totally in shock to find out I'd get (hopefully, at least) one more chance.

Well, all the patience paid off.  The Oils were every bit as amazing as I'd
hoped!  They played pretty much every "Absolute must" song that I had to hear (
at least off of Diesel and Dust and beyond).

That being said here are my (small) complaints-
Too Short!  The whole double-booking thing that happened with Will Hoge and
John Eddy...I'd REALLY like to think that the additional set up time for the
extra opening band did not cut into the Oil's set.  Can somebody who was at
this show and at others on this leg of the tour confirm this?  I know that the
Oils traditionally always have openers, but it sure would be great to see them
in a one band only show.  Hell, they've got tons of material to draw on...

Not enough older material!  Yeah, hearing "Tin Legs" was a real suprise, great
version too...  I would have loved to of least heard ONE pre-Diesel and Dust
classic ("Power and the Passion" at least, would've killed to hear "Kosciusko").

OK, you're going to play newer stuff...bring on Redneck!  I was really glad
when the intro to "Redneck Wonderland" started up.  People standing next to me
thought I was a total freak because I totally screamed my head off at that
point (and nobody else seemed to be familiar with the tune).  I love RW, what a
great album.  Two songs only off of Redneck was NOT enough!  I really wish
they'd at least played "Cemetary in My Mind".  That ending guitar lick always
sends shivers up my spine.

So, uhh  Rob...why are you out front?  Please excuse me if this is some
traditional Oils concert thing that they always do.  It was great to see my all
time favorite drummer really up close, but I thought that the little mini-kit
he was playing on at the front of the stage sounded, well, somewhat weak in
some of the more "bigger" songs that they played with him on it.

Golden Age.  Yeah, I know...it's the single.  Sorry, I just don't dig this
song.  Would've rather have heard "Mosquito March" if we had to do something
off of the new album.

That's it!  Was anyone taping?  I'd love to get a copy if so...

-Mark Sira