Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Fwd: IMPORTANT - Brazilian Rainforest

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 07 May 2002 22:40:54 -0400

Dear Eel and all,

I know you mean well ... but you must be careful when you receive this sort
of e-mail. If there are no specific details of who to contact or when and
where things are going to happen, the internet chain letter you have
received is probably a hoax or is older than the stars.

Snopes.com is a particularly good reference to check on these things ...
they may not have heard of the particular item at hand, but they are damn
good at smoking out the most common sorts of shams orbiting the
internet.  And if you think about how many directions each of these letters
is going as people sign it and send it to all their friends, you can easily
see that if there were a real "drop off" for full petitions, the repeated
names would make administration of the system a total nightmare!

Read about this particular Brazilian Rainforest Hoax at
http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/petition/brazil.htm

Not to flame anyone, but these turbocharged rumor mills eat vast quantities
of bandwidth and lead people to burn off righteous energy and good
intentions that are better spent fighting the real fight.   The next time
you get one of these "sign your name and forward it to the nearest black
hole" solicitations, consider yourself to be stimulated to check out an
organization on the web which is working for the cause du jour and may even
have a whole folio of action letters to sign and send electronically ...
letters that are sent to real government functionaries and corporate
captains and target specific campaigns.

With much love for our Mother Earth,
Kate

At 07:06 PM 5/7/02 -0700, Eel Bonjack wrote:
>hey- sorry if this is too big a message to forward,
>but I think its appropriate...
>Note: forwarded message attached.
>

>=====
>while most people have a conscious and a subconscious,
>I operate on the level of subconscious and sub-subconscious.
>-Harpo Marx

>Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
>http://health.yahoo.comX-Apparently-To: scissormansnip@yahoo.com via
>web10104; 07 May 2002 18:28:31 -0700 (PDT)
>From: JokerBard@aol.com
>Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:27:48 EDT
>Subject: IMPORTANT - Brazilian Rainforest
><snip>

Kate Adams
Doctoral Student
Epidemiology
Department of Work Environment
UMass Lowell
"There are a lot of people who as they get older get mellow. I don't like
mellow music. I don't like mellow. Period."  -  Moe Tucker