Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re:Something Completely Different NMOC

graw gwyllie@nd.edu
Thu, 2 May 2002 14:14:40 -0500

>Hey Mighty Morphin Powder Rangers,
>
>      Here's a suggestion for any who are seeking a
>completely different musical experience:
>
>BELA FLECK AND THE FLECKTONES
>
>If you've never heard 'em, check out the cd "OUTBOUND"
>and I guarantee you'll never think of banjo or jazz the
>same way again.
>THink Micheal Hedges meets Steve Morse meets Earl
>Scruggs on stage at a YES concert aboard the A Train,
>and farmers crop dusting the whole scene with fairy
>dust from outer space . . .

Sort of have to second the recommendation for the band at least. If I
had to recommend one album by the Flectones, it would probably be the
double live CD - Live Art which was my starting point. Sure, some of
it can be described as over-the-top soloing and a (very)few tracks
drag on a bit but overall it's a great picture of the Flectones live
prior to the addition of their sax player. The most recent 2 albums
have moved away from the bluegrass/jazz almost entirely instrumental
sound and now they have more in the way of vocals (which IMHO
detracts from some serious top-notch musicianship)
There is also a neat little compilation album which would make a
great starting point -'greatest hits of the 20th century and Flecks
own recent solo album is a set of covers of classical pieces

g.

MOC - Last night in Chicago was amazing, review in a day or so,
leaving now for tonights show

now playing: Will Hoge - carousel
--
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once
I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting