Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] No Photo Policy

Erin Coker ercoke@hotmail.com
Thu, 02 May 2002 09:27:28 -0400

<P><BR>I can only speak from expereince after&nbsp;receiving a photo pass for the vermont show recently. I had to sign a release saying that the photos were being taken and only used for the publication in which i work for. Also, that I could not sell them without the managements permission and lastly had to follow their rules. Rules such as shooting the first three songs with NO flash. This is pretty common practice with most artists i have photographed over the past 5 years although its becoming a rarity that i have to sign a release. I think about 30 percent of the time i sign a release of some sort. Somebody was right when they noted that we could debate this until we are blue in the face. All i can say is show a little respect by not using a flash and limit the number of pictures you take. The majority of the people who get in trouble or get noticed are the flash users...but i have seen non flash get in trouble too.<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>Erin
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Kate Adams <KATE@DNKI.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Powderworks] No Photo Policy
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 23:16:20 -0400
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;One thing that bothers me about this whole little online scuffle
<DIV></DIV>&gt;here: why
<DIV></DIV>&gt;don't the flashpowderworkers who want to take pictures unmolested
<DIV></DIV>&gt;recruit
<DIV></DIV>&gt;one of the somebodies who hang on this list and have close ties with
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;band to find out exactly what the issues are with photography? And
<DIV></DIV>&gt;what,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;exactly is the policy? And can someone at the venues make an effort
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;tell it to the mob?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Until we know why they don't want photos during concerts (flash
<DIV></DIV>&gt;units?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;artistic property control? legal rights of their handlers?) we can
<DIV></DIV>&gt;debate
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and speculate until we are blue in the face and the local bouncer
<DIV></DIV>&gt;goon
<DIV></DIV>&gt;skwads will continue to snatch cameras and flashbulb boneheads will
<DIV></DIV>&gt;continue to blind the performers and no one will know what the rules
<DIV></DIV>&gt;are or
<DIV></DIV>&gt;why.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I'm not likely to take a camera into a concert, so I don't really
<DIV></DIV>&gt;care one
<DIV></DIV>&gt;way or another. Burning bandwidth, however, produces little in this
<DIV></DIV>&gt;case. Those who really care about taking pictures should consider
<DIV></DIV>&gt;taking
<DIV></DIV>&gt;it up a level and finding out what goes on.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;