Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] Oils/INXS.

Jonathan Hart midnightoil@shaw.ca
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:04:38 -0700

I'd say Midnight Oil didn't "make it" overseas because THEY DIDN"T SELL
OUT!!!  INXS ain't got nothin on Midnight Oil!

INXS is not in the same league, I can't believe Farriss is saying they
didn't make it because they didn't work hard enough!  What an ass-wipe.  His
band pandered to the masses, MO didn't.  End of story.

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of andrew pye
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 11:09 PM
To: Jo Daley
Cc: powderworks mail list
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Oils/INXS.

I would tend to agree with what Farris said in that the reason Midnight Oil
have never made it over seas to the extent that INXS have is because they
didn't work at it. But as he says, that's because they didn't really care
about making it overseas. They have never written songs or made albums to be
a huge international success. They have concentrated on making albums and
writing songs they THEY want to do, about our prt of the world, and whether
the world picks up on it or not hasn't been an issue. If they did, that'd be
selling out and they'd end up sounding as cheesy and crappy as INXS! They
don't make pop albums, they make rock albums of substances and have done the
most important thing (something which pretty much every other successful
band hasn't done) and that's maintained their credibility and dignity. Who
cares if the masses don't get it!? But he shouldn't think the Oils haven't
worked hard, they have of course. Just focussed their energy in the right
direction!

But the whole piece below gave me the impression that Farris has his head up
his own arse!

What value is international success if you cant keep your front man alive!?