Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (re)introduction

leftjab leftjab@well.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:33:10 -0800

hello, p'workers of the world,

please allow me the indulgence of saying hello, which i hardly did when i
was on the list in late '96-'97 (my only real contribution was that I was a
branch on the Eye Contact videotape tree, a dubbing project I remember
well).  My name's Jonathan and I've been a Midnight Oil fan since 1984
(hello, Jonathan ...)  I've much enjoyed the discussions of all things Oil
the last few weeks, am used to e-mail list drama and don't worry about it
much, and expect to stay for good this time.

ah, '84, when I was sixteen and living in the suburbs of New York City,
trying not to get sucked into the Reagan-era backwash, and  listening to
the Clash, U2, and the Alarm, when onto the MTV screen leaped Peter and the
"Power and the Passion" video, and I wondered who those lunatics were with
the anti-corporate rhetoric and intense music and vocals.  An amazing
"People" magazine article  of all things (April 11, '84, I still have it)
that focused on their politics and it was impossible for me to resist --
this was the real deal, a band that could play hard and smart, and
seemingly not compromise their message or ideals.  Heady stuff in a cynical
world.  After wearing out my first vinyl copy of 10 to 1, and then the
lucky find of the 12" of "Glitch Baby Glitch" and "Weddingcake Island," I
was extremely fortunate in Feb. '85 to be able to successfully order the
entire Oils vinyl catalog imported by a dealer in California, including
RSITS (not released until August '85 in the U.S.), and all the pre-10 to 1
albums that also took years to be released in the U.S.  The proverbial
mother lode, it was amazing to receive a package with MO, PWOP, BN, 10 to 1
(why not buy the Aussie version too, I love that double fold out) and RSITS
all at once, having only heard 10 to 1.  My first two live shows were the
Oils opening for UB40 at Jones Beach Theater on Long Island and the Pier in
NYC in July '85, and the latter was incredible, the Oils unrelenting in a
monstrous thunderstorm, which left me so wet that my wallet was soaked
through.  I'll never forget the rain bouncing off Peter as the band tore
through "Stand in Line."

Every new album/EP or tour since then has been a treat, for both the music
and the message.  it surprised me that "Beds are Burning" was so popular,
but it kept the Oils somewhat in the public eye in the U.S. through
ESM.  Breathe and RW got no airplay, but I liked how the music evolved,
particularly in RW, which showed the Oils willing to stretch and experiment
to terrific results.  no one sounds quite like them.  Capricornia is a
return to a more typical Oils sound, and they still have it, it's an album
that fits like a well worn pair of jeans already.

meanwhile, I moved to Berkeley, California to go to law school in '89,
which musically dumped me in the lap of the Grateful Dead, the only band
that has mattered more to me than the Oils (the "Wharf Rat" on the
"Deadicated" tribute album was an amazing convergence for me, and if
there's a tape floating about of the Oils' live version at the San
Francisco DNA lounge show in Sept. 93, I'd be indebted to the source
forever).  One positive effect was that I was introduced to the DAT taper
community, and though I've never smuggled in the mics and deck myself, I
occasionally can buy a ticket for someone who does and "sponsor" a decent
audience tape (my own personal DAT taping has been of electronic dance
music, and I've taped hundreds of hours of DJ sets straight from the mixer
the past few years).  I've been lazy when it comes to Oils live music, and
only have a handful of tapes, including one a taper made for me of the 6
Oct. '96 Fillmore show in San Francisco, other versions of which are fairly
widespread.  I hope to take part in future trees, hopefully of the KFOG
live show when it is broadcast sometime in the next couple of weeks.

as for the law part ... I started practicing energy regulatory law in the
early '90's, which led to an attorney position at the California Public
Utilities Commission in the mid-'90's, right before the shit really hit the
fan with the fallout from the disastrous deregulation.  i've had a front
row seat for extreme corporate greed and politically-driven responses, and
it's as ugly up close as it appears from afar.  but at least my job isn't
boring, and once in a while I'm able to fight the good fight.

ok, i'll shut up now, and get psyched for tomorrow's KFOG show :)

Jonathan