Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Golden Age / Capricornia play in the US

Kevin Jones geokevo@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:01:55 -0500

It says 53 stations have reported playing Capricornia, for a total of
522 total spins (I'm assuming Golden Age is being played.)
What is "Triple A" format and how is it different than "alternative"?
<<<

"Triple A" or AAA is Adult Album Alternative...  It's sort of alternative
for 20- and 30-somethings, to REALLY overgeneralize.  AAA target audiences
tend to be male and female 20- and 30-somethings, Alt target audiences tend
to be male teens.  (I don't mean to generalize, but that's basically how the
radio demographics break down, what can I say.)  Core AAA artists are folks
like Sarah McLachlan, Dave Matthews, David Gray, Suzanne Vega, etc.
Contrast this with regular Alternative-- folks like Blink 182, Weezer,
Default, Stroke 9, etc.

Golden Age is probably responsible for most of those spins, since it's the
track that Liquid 8 is pushing as the single.  It won't be all of them
though-- at our station, for example, we're rotating "Tone Poem" instead,
but "Golden Age", "Too Much Sunshine", and "Say Your Prayers" are getting
occasional play as well.

Hope that helps--

Cheers,
Kev Jones