Midnight Oil

Fwd: Re: [Powderworks] Capricornia!

Jeff and Jane Scott jscott@iinet.net.au
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:43:40 +0800

At 08-03-02 10:08 AM +1100, Jane Remedio wrote:

>Luritja Way is about an aboriginal community.  If you listen with this in
>mind you will find all the references in the song.  "There's no highway to
>Luritja Way' means that it is not a place that is choosen as a tourist
>destination, its a place not readily visited by white people.  "Gasoline
>junkies" refers to petrol sniffing that unfortunatley takes place in
>outback indigenous communities.
>Listen and you will find more references that will jump out at you.
>Its a wonderful song.

my favourite is "no one gets to get old".  that sort of line is usually
used to give an image of a paradise-like place, fountain of youth,
everlasting life sort of thing.  but in this case it's literally true - the
life expectancy of the people out there is about 25 years shorter than for
the rest of the population.

jeff...