Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] introduce yourself-educate yourself

Serandipitey@aol.com Serandipitey@aol.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:54:53 EST

--part1_96.22c15192.29b6b4cd_boundary

Hi Matt,
Well, maybe it was an unfortunate first post, but you have the right to your
opinions. And likewise, I have the right to voice mine in opposition.
About Kyoto not being the best thing for the U.S., well I can't accept that.
Economically speaking, yes, it will be a burden to bear. Here in Canada our
PM plans to ratify the accord, now people are beginning to talk about the
economic consequences. However, the vast majority of Canadians still support
Kyoto, according to polls (which can be inexact, I admit). The point is, just
because something is a burden to the economy doesn't make it unacceptable, as
Bush seems to believe. The market does not exist in a vacuum, environmental
problems are very real and must be dealt with at every level, individual,
economic, social, etc.. Also, since when is money the ultimate indicator of
well being? I don't think that bad air and polluted water are good for any of
us, either. Fact is, we must face reality. We have a big problem on our
hands, virtually all the scientists working on the subject agree to this. We
have to turn things around. I may not be American, but I am angry that Bush
refuses to cooperate in this initiative. As one of the most wealthy, populous
country in the world, we all need the US in on this, and that the US refuses
to participate is a disgrace and a letdown.
Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox. I'm not trying to flame you, just wanted to
throw in my 2 cents. (3 cents Can., due to the lousy exchange rate:) I look
forward to hearing your more Oil-oriented views in the future. :)

Varina

--part1_96.22c15192.29b6b4cd_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hi Matt,
<BR>Well, maybe it was an unfortunate first post, but you have the right to your opinions. And likewise, I have the right to voice mine in opposition.
<BR>About Kyoto not being the best thing for the U.S., well I can't accept that. Economically speaking, yes, it will be a burden to bear. Here in Canada our PM plans to ratify the accord, now people are beginning to talk about the economic consequences. However, the vast majority of Canadians still support Kyoto, according to polls (which can be inexact, I admit). The point is, just because something is a burden to the economy doesn't make it unacceptable, as Bush seems to believe. The market does not exist in a vacuum, environmental problems are very real and must be dealt with at every level, individual, economic, social, etc.. Also, since when is money the ultimate indicator of well being? I don't think that bad air and polluted water are good for any of us, either. Fact is, we must face reality. We have a big problem on our hands, virtually all the scientists working on the subject agree to this. We have to turn things around. I may not be American, but I am angry that Bush refuses to cooperate in this initiative. As one of the most wealthy, populous country in the world, we all need the US in on this, and that the US refuses to participate is a disgrace and a letdown.
<BR>Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox. I'm not trying to flame you, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. (3 cents Can., due to the lousy exchange rate:) I look forward to hearing your more Oil-oriented views in the future. :)
<BR>
<BR>Varina</FONT></HTML>

--part1_96.22c15192.29b6b4cd_boundary--