Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Capricornia Commentary

Randy Van Vliet bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I have now given Capricornia a fair listen and I
really like most of it.  It returns to the BSM/ESM
kind of funkiness that was clearly missing from RW
(Which, btw, is their strongest effort, imho).  You
never know what is going to come up next.

Great MO songs:  Overpass (best song since time to
Heal), Luritja way (who sings the "guiding light"
part?), Golden Age.

Average MO songs:  Too Much Sunshine, Tone Poem,
Mosquito March, Been Away Too Long.

Weak MO songs:  Capricornia, World That I See.

Songs I like better live (From the MMM "Magnus" boot:
Say Your Prayers.

Song I have no use for at all whatsoever:  A Crocodile
Cries.  Pointless as it's own song.  Brilliant as part
of Poets & Slaves.

Which brings me to that.  Poets & Slaves seems to
continue a MO tradition of a very good song that is a
very hard listen after a good, diverse set.  I put it
in the same category as Nothing Lost Nothing Gained,
Is It Now, Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something,
Bells and Horns/Shipyards of New Zealand, Antarctica,
and Now or Never Land.  These are mostly above average
songs but they require a lot of paying attention to
(sorry for the grammatical error).  At the end of a
Midnight Oil set Im not really in the mood to sit down
and pay attention and appreciate the subtle nuances of
the songwriters craft (sort of like at the end of a
two hour symphony - I enjoyed it but I just want to
relax).  So I like Poets & Slaves, but more if I hear
it alone rather than at the end of the CD.

Randy (hoping they come back to SF on the way home!)