Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Glitch's comments

Terry Johnson tenacious@cyberback.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:46:47 -0500

Glitch,

For the first time that I can ever remember, I totally align against you on
a point.  I know our government is corrupt and our fore-fathers were not
always upstanding, but the basis upon which our government was built and the
beliefs for which *many* good Americans have given their lives is honorable
and just.  I will give my full allegience to the symbols that represent that
spirit--tainted though they may be--because I believe in a higher unified
morality that will not come from an anarchist government, but only from a
nation bonded together with determination to peacefully co-exist.  At this
time there is no such place on this earth like that, with the exception of
Antarctica (<--- MOC!), but a day will come...

Hold together.

I may not live in the city, and I may not be as cultured as you, but don't
judge us American faithfuls too harshly.  We mean well.
--Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Glitch
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 9:14 PM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: FW: [Powderworks] Rights in the Workplace

John Welk wrote:

>The first amendment prohibits the government from supressing speech -- it
does
not extend such protection to individuals or organizations.

>I don't condone Lina's company's policy -- not in the least -- but what
they
did is perfectly legal in the U.S.  Just a week or two ago a federal appeals
court upheld the right of a Florida company to dismiss an employee involved
in
political protests that were contrary to the company's positions.  The basic
thrust of the ruling (from my reading) was that employment was not a right,
and
that the company should not be forced to employ someone acting against what
the
company believed to be in its best interests.
---

Totally true.  The company I work for has been plastered with American flags
since 9/11 and - most recently - an "intact" copy of the Pledge of
Allegiance - and I am VERY sure that if my true anarchist feelings were ever
expressed I would find my ass on the street very fast.  The good old boy
network I work for has no obligation to employ anarchists.  I keep my head
down, shut up, and wear long sleeves so my tattoo doesnąt show.
Sucks, but it's true.

--Glitch