Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: NMOC...Yucca Mountain

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:44:29 -0400

Wow.  Well, all I can say is that I work for a huge international
corporation, in a quality assessment management role, and I'd be canned
in a heartbeat if I did that.  I've worked there almost 7 years and
there hasn't been one single time that I've been asked to do a wrong
thing or to ignore warnings of a possible product safety problem.
Course I had to go through about 5 sucky jobs to find this
one......Companies act like this will get the kind of employees they
deserve.  There are good, ethical companies out there, and some of them
are even part of Big Corporate America <grin> - Beth Curran

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of Unpage@aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 9:10 AM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] Re: NMOC...Yucca Mountain

<<This is just crazy. Have these people not heard of the First
Amendment? Do they tell you how to vote as well? Who do you work for
anyways?>>

The first amendment prohibits the government from supressing speech --
it does not extend such protection to individuals or organizations.

I don't condone Lina's company's policy -- not in the least -- but what
they did is perfectly legal in the U.S.  Just a week or two ago a
federal appeals court upheld the right of a Florida company to dismiss
an employee involved in political protests that were contrary to the
company's positions.  The basic thrust of the ruling (from my reading)
was that employment was not a right, and that the company should not be
forced to employ someone acting against what the company believed to be
in its best interests.

No flames, please -- I think this type of policy is wrong-headed at
best, and very short-sighted.  But they are far more prevalent than you
would thing.

Regards,
John Welk
unpage@aol.com