Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC - H&C

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:12:17 -0500

Found this Interesting story in today's Sydney Morning Herald. I've never
heard Mark Seymour this fired up.
I'd imagine PG would have had the same reaction if the Libs had used an Oils
track.
It seems the Hunnas' political persuasions are quite similar to those of the
Oils.
For the unitiated, the Liberals are the conservatives who currently govern
Australia at the federal level.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/11/1026185085492.html

Hunters and Collectors furious Libs used their song
July 12 2002
AAP

The former frontman of Australian rock band Hunters and Collectors has the
Tasmanian Liberal Party in his sights for playing one of their songs at an
election launch this week.

Singer/guitarist Mark Seymour said he was disgusted the Liberal Party had
played the band's signature song Holy Grail at their weekend launch, telling
Hobart's The Mercury newspaper the song had been played without permission.

"We are disgusted by the appropriation of our much-loved anthem by a
political party that we utterly despise," he told the paper.

"To redress any damage that this may have caused to the memory of our band
and its music, we would like to make it known to the people of Tasmania that
we are opposed to everything that the Liberal Party stands for."

Holy Grail, which includes the lines "started out seeking fortune and glory,
it's a short song but a hell of a story", was played loudly as Tasmanian
Opposition Leader Bob Cheek arrived at the launch with his wife and
daughters.

Mr Cheek told the paper the Liberal Party had checked with the launch venue,
the Derwent Entertainment Centre, prior to the event to ensure it had an
Australian Performing Rights Association licence, which it did.

"I'm very pleased with the way the launch went," he said.

Hunters and Collectors broke up in 1998 and Mark Seymour has since launched
a solo career.