Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Oh Well

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:22:56 -0400

Senate Joint Resolution 34, authorizing the Yucca Mountain Nuclear
Repository, just passed the senate on a 60 to 39 vote.  Once again we see
the triumph of a large repository of cash over good sense and truly
scientifically informed decision making.

Thank you to all the Powderworkers who have written their letters, signed
petitions, and made calls - and to those dedicated activists canvassing at
the shows and checking in and out of the 'works who have laid aside weeks
of their lives to get the word out across the land - and years of their
lives to the cause of alternative energy.

And, of course, special special thanks to the Oils themselves for their
continuing commitment to end the use of technologies we should now know
better than to mess with.  Their passion for a nuclear free world and their
willingness to help out as only they could - even in a foreign country - is
truly astounding.

The optimist in me hopes that this isn't fully over ... that this vote
marks an end to a mere battle, that our government may honor its treaties
and back away from desecrating Shoshone land in the service of the nuclear
industrial complex.  Desecration it has done in the past to lands of the
Navajo and the confederated tribes of the Umatilla .

I'm going to drink a beer, listen to the rain, and hope my kids won't have
to carry this torch.

Activated, motivated, and not turning back,
Kate

Kate Adams
Gradual Student
UMass Lowell