Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Golden Age/Concept Album

LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au LLOYD_Ian@canon.com.au
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:03:53 +1100

Pardon my ignorrance, but what is a concept album?

IAN LLOYD - National Sales Admin. Team Leader
CANON - Business Imaging Solutions Group
Level 2, 1 Thomas Holt Drive, North Ryde 2113
PH: (02) 9805 2384
FAX: 1800 352227
E-MAIL: lloyd_ian@canon.com.au

                    "Julian Shaw"
                    <julian@monkeyfamily.freese        To:     "Powderworks Mailing List"
                    rve.co.uk>                         <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    powderworks-admin@cs.colora        Subject:     [Powderworks] Golden Age/Concept
                    do.edu                             Album

                    01/02/2002 08:35

I feel like a kid again. I just downloaded the mp3 of Golden Age....I had
heard the Real Audio but this just brought things home...a new Oils album
coming soon and one that could be their best ever. I'm in love with music
once more! This song is classic Oils - fantastic riff, with power and melody
(and no cheesy lyrics!) - awesome. I love it, my mum will love it, everyone
I know will love it...

I can't wait!

Jim mentioned in the blurb that he had hoped that Capricornia could have
been more of a concept album. I know that this may not be popular with many
of you but this is something I would really like to see the Oils do before
they split (they will have to one day - or do they?!). I think they have so
much to offer by expanding themselves, just as songs like Jimmy Sharmans
Boxers, Shipyards of New Zealand and some of the outtakes from Redneck have
shown. Lets face it Red Sails was almost there. But I'm sure if they did one
now they could pull it off. An example of a great concept album that I came
across recently is Suzannah Suite by Robbie James - highly recommended if
people want to check it out (and Robbie is so nice to chat with!:-)):
http://www.ganggajang.com/rj_pages/rj_suzst.htm It basically tells the story
of Suzannah a convict who is sent across to Australia in the first fleet.
The story is something that certainly couldn't have been told in just a few
songs. Jim if you are listening...just for one album I'm sure you can twist
the arms of Rob, Bones, Pete and Martin...

Hitting play again...

Julian Lewis Shaw
Man, Myth or Monkey? Find out:
http://www.jlshaw.co.uk