Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Moral question?

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:42:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Jan 18, Stephen Scott wrote:

> I was wondering what people here thought about it. I know if
> someone found a 3 track master tape of unreleased Oils songs
> from 19 years ago, and wanted to copy and sell it on at an
> inflated price, I would have to buy it, even though it meant the
> band not getting any royalties.

I would like to see a few people buy the CD (ideally, just one, but
this isn't an ideal world, so there's always going to be a few people who
will buy it,) and copy it for other fans for the price of the media. If
it comes down to the band not getting any royalties I would just like to
see that the person who is trying to profit from their work does not make
a fortune from it. Oh yeah, and we did make it to my ideal world, I'd like
it if at least some of those who took a copy of the CD were to send a few
dollars to the band, or a charitable cause supported by the band, as a
means of balancing karma. Bad karma follows you around[1] :-)

[1] Knowing wink to anyone who recognises that song-title :-)

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly@deadheart.org.uk