Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Change the Track Order

James Warren jimcwarren@earthlink.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:20:12 -0800

"R. B. Norton" wrote:

> I agree!  Luritja Way and Tone Poem...an amazing one-two punch.  I also
> think that Poets & Slaves is one of the best finishes out of all the Oils'
> albums (Now or Never Land and Antarctica are up there).
>
> Brian

Uh-oh, my next post was going to tell about how the album is better if
you change the track order.

I don't like Poets and Slaves as the last song (the song is my least favorite

on the album), and I find the album too strong in the first half, so I came
up with this order:

Side 1:
    Poets and Slaves
    Mosquito March
    Capricornia
    Too Much Sunshine
    Golden Age
    A Crocodile Cries
Side 2:
    Been Away too Long
    Luritja Way
    Tone Poem
    Say Your Prayers
    World that I See
    Under the Overpass

Now Under the Overpass is a great way to conclude an album.  And having
Poets and Slaves first works well for me, because I find myself not dreading
the end of the album, but rather looking forward to what is to come.  Poets
and Slaves' repositioning on the album has made me like it more.  It kind
of reminds me of the beginning of a play where a chorus comes and talks
to the audience.

Change the track order.  It's fun!

-Jim