Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Early demo?

Greg Ralls GregRalls@Users.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:50:19 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB08.9C0BAAF8

all of this reminds me of jeff buckley's posthumous release, "sketches =
for my sweetheart the drunk".  i don't think he ever intended for ANY of =
those songs to see the light of day, especially not disc 2...but the =
entire first cd is great, and a good bit of cd#2 is quite entertaining =
as well.
=20
greg ralls

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu =
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of CYakaAL@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 1:23 PM
To: gluci@yahoo.com; TravisZ@actf.com.au; powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Early demo?

Powderworkers...=20

Many bands, their record companies and management teams are very =
paranoid about unreleased material being in the public domain.=20

Why?  One reason money. In most cases the above mentioned do not receive =
fees for their works on bootlegs.  =20

Another reason is control.  Musicians have long been protective of their =
product and they do not want things released without them going through =
all aspects of the recording process.  They are worried about their =
image. The thought process is that releasing material that is poorly =
mixed or may have an instrument or vocalist out of tune could hurt a =
band.  Having worked on or been privy to the workings of a number of =
musical concert video programs I have witnessed or have heard stories of =
bands spending hours and days fixing songs. Thus blurring the lines of =
live in concert.=20

On the flip side demos and bootlegs offer an insight into a band that is =
not available in the traditional mediums.  And I believe most fans who =
purchase these items or who would purchase them if they were available =
through "legal" means do not care about the warts that may be prevalent =
on these products.  These buyers are not looking for a slick product =
they are looking for history.=20

So what to do in regard to the FTP site.  Respect the bands wishes.=20

AL=20
CYakaAL@aol.com=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB08.9C0BAAF8

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.3315.2870" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3D"Franklin Gothic Medium"><SPAN=20
class=3D188234718-21022002>all of this reminds me of jeff buckley's =
posthumous=20
release, "sketches for my sweetheart the drunk".&nbsp; i don't think he =
ever=20
intended for ANY of those songs to see the light of day, especially not =
disc=20
2...but the entire first cd is great, and a good bit of cd#2 =
is&nbsp;quite=20
entertaining as well.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3D"Franklin Gothic Medium"><SPAN=20
class=3D188234718-21022002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3D"Franklin Gothic Medium"><SPAN=20
class=3D188234718-21022002>greg ralls</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV align=3Dleft class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu=20
  [mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]<B>On Behalf Of=20
  </B>CYakaAL@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, February 21, 2002 1:23=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> gluci@yahoo.com; TravisZ@actf.com.au;=20
  powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Powderworks] Early =

  demo?<BR><BR></DIV></FONT><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT=20
  size=3D2>Powderworkers... <BR><BR>Many bands, their record companies =
and=20
  management teams are very paranoid about unreleased material being in =
the=20
  public domain. <BR><BR>Why? &nbsp;One reason money. In most cases the =
above=20
  mentioned do not receive fees for their works on bootlegs. &nbsp;=20
  <BR><BR>Another reason is control. &nbsp;Musicians have long been =
protective=20
  of their product and they do not want things released without them =
going=20
  through all aspects of the recording process. &nbsp;They are worried =
about=20
  their image. The thought process is that releasing material that is =
poorly=20
  mixed or may have an instrument or vocalist out of tune could hurt a =
band.=20
  &nbsp;Having worked on or been privy to the workings of a number of =
musical=20
  concert video programs I have witnessed or have heard stories of bands =

  spending hours and days fixing songs. Thus blurring the lines of live =
in=20
  concert. <BR><BR>On the flip side demos and bootlegs offer an insight =
into a=20
  band that is not available in the traditional mediums. &nbsp;And I =
believe=20
  most fans who purchase these items or who would purchase them if they =
were=20
  available through "legal" means do not care about the warts that may =
be=20
  prevalent on these products. &nbsp;These buyers are not looking for a =
slick=20
  product they are looking for history. <BR><BR>So what to do in regard =
to the=20
  FTP site. &nbsp;Respect the bands wishes. <BR><BR>AL =
<BR>CYakaAL@aol.com=20
  <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB08.9C0BAAF8--