Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] In the Rain

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:26:12 -0500

Ah, oily synchronicity.  Don't we all love it!  This sort of thing has
happened to me more than I would care to mention.

My favorite story of this sort comes from the time I was sitting at my
advisor's desk taking the two-day comprehensive exam inflicted on all
doctoral students.  I was just back from the NYC show at the Bowery and I
packed a lot of Oil to listen to while I ground away at the test.

I had just popped in BSM to keep me awake and remind me of why I put up
with these indignities. Then I leaned back in the chair to stare off into
space for a minute or so and rest my mind while I listened to the opening
cut.  After a minute or so of this I realized just what it was that I was
staring at on the book shelf beside me.

A copy of Blue Murder, the disastrous story of Wittenoom that inspired
BSM.  I investigated it after I handed in that day's exam.  It was
autographed (my advisor specializes in the study of dust-related lung
diseases).

Gave me a chill to find that book beside me while listening to the song.