Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Finally, I chime in...

Powdworker@aol.com Powdworker@aol.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:24:19 EST

--part1_1e.4f484e2.2b315273_boundary

'Bout time I put my two cents in. One of the early posts to this list after
Pete's big announcement listed me as one of the Powderworkers who has
contributed to this list over the years. Well, I have been a lurker over the
last couple of years at least ... but thanks to whoever remembered me .....
:-)

I actually got the news straight off the Web site. When I logged onto the
Internet that fateful evening, I thought to myself, "Seems to me there was
some new MP3 on that site ... someone said something about 'Jim and the other
guy'... so I went straight to www.midnightoil.com and WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!

After the first few minutes of shock, though, it all started to make sense.
About two and a half years ago, at a big scientific meeting, I met an ABC
(Australian) radio journalist who said he was a friend of Pete's -- and I
remember that he told me that Pete would much, much rather talk about
politics and the environment than about singing in a band. So, when I hung
out outside the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC, to try to get signatures after
the incredible Oils show of Nov. 5, 2001, I made sure I asked Pete what he
thought of the (then) impending election in Oz. He said he was sure the
Labour folks would win (though we all know what happened).

I'm kind of rambling here ... so many of you have already expressed far more
eloquent thoughts than I could ever put together at this late hour. Suffice
it to say that I feel an incredible sense of gratitude for the music and the
meaning, and since the world so desperately needs leaders with a progressive
voice and vision, I wish Peter all the best in whatever he does next.

Hey, if he *does* become Prime Minister, then I get to tell everyone, "Gee, I
met the Prime Minister of Australia way back when he was just....."

Ironically, one week ago I *finally* got a new computer with a CD-RW drive .
.. does this mean I can participate in weeds now???

Peace to all,
Patty in Maryland

--part1_1e.4f484e2.2b315273_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">'Bout time I put my two cents in. One of the early posts to this list after Pete's big announcement listed me as one of the Powderworkers who has contributed to this list over the years. Well, I have been a lurker over the last couple of years at least ... but thanks to whoever remembered me ..... :-)<BR>
<BR>
I actually got the news straight off the Web site. When I logged onto the Internet that fateful evening, I thought to myself, "Seems to me there was some new MP3 on that site ... someone said something about 'Jim and the other guy'... so I went straight to www.midnightoil.com and WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>
<BR>
After the first few minutes of shock, though, it all started to make sense. About two and a half years ago, at a big scientific meeting, I met an ABC (Australian) radio journalist who said he was a friend of Pete's -- and I remember that he told me that Pete would much, much rather talk about politics and the environment than about singing in a band. So, when I hung out outside the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC, to try to get signatures after the incredible Oils show of Nov. 5, 2001, I made sure I asked Pete what he thought of the (then) impending election in Oz. He said he was sure the Labour folks would win (though we all know what happened).<BR>
<BR>
I'm kind of rambling here ... so many of you have already expressed far more eloquent thoughts than I could ever put together at this late hour. Suffice it to say that I feel an incredible sense of gratitude for the music and the meaning, and since the world so desperately needs leaders with a progressive voice and vision, I wish Peter all the best in whatever he does next.<BR>
<BR>
Hey, if he *does* become Prime Minister, then I get to tell everyone, "Gee, I met the Prime Minister of Australia way back when he was just....."<BR>
<BR>
Ironically, one week ago I *finally* got a new computer with a CD-RW drive ... does this mean I can participate in weeds now???<BR>
<BR>
Peace to all,<BR>
Patty in Maryland</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1e.4f484e2.2b315273_boundary--