Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] what peter might be up to...

Erin Oneill Erin.Oneill@newcastle.edu.au
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:55:52 +1100

--Boundary_(ID_a1GumlrVwueKo/JH7NXkNA)

Wtih regards to the sun herald article.

As a former resident of Canberra (20 odd years worth) I think he stands a =
very good chance of getting up in the Senate.  Canberrans are very =
progessive (they were the only people to vote for a republic ( about 53%), =
they have a policy of no waste by 2010 for example), and as long as Peter =
can show loyalty to them and that he can cut the mustard politically, he =
has an extremely good chance.  It's worth while remembering that Canberrans=
 are the most educated an politically astute of all Australians (about one =
third have tertiary degrees), and a lot either work in the Public Service, =
or in other government related/funded areas.  The Liberal Candidate had =
better be very good, as margaret Reid was a very good senator for the ACT, =
and was well respected by both sides of Parliament.  The ACT Legislative =
Assembly already has greens on board (I think... it might have changed - =
the other parties might have just got more green!) and every candidate =
knows that the average Canberran is very concerned about the city in which =
they live (which is why the last Lib. government was chucked out).
Loyalty to the name of Midnight Oil will matter a lot less to Canberrans =
than others - all the years of 'no compromise' will be less of an =
advantage for a group of political hard heads (which is your average =
Canberran - even though many don't want to be!).  It might even be a =
disadvantage depending on how well Peter has performed (and has been seen =
to perform) as a politician. =20
I used to row with Kate Lundy, and she is a lovely and intellegant and =
hard working person (she left school to be a brickies labourer!) - very =
committed.  I think that Peter and Kate would be an excellent team in =
Canberra.

Oh and Brian - bugger the brumbies!! I'm a novocastrian now!!

go Knights!!!

--Boundary_(ID_a1GumlrVwueKo/JH7NXkNA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Wtih regards to the sun herald article.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>As a former resident of Canberra (20 odd years worth) =
I think=20
he stands a very good chance of getting up in the Senate.&nbsp; Canberrans =
are=20
very progessive (they were the only people to vote for a republic ( about =
53%),=20
they have a policy of no waste by 2010 for example), and as long as Peter =
can=20
show loyalty to them and that he can cut the mustard politically, he has =
an=20
extremely good chance.&nbsp; It's worth while remembering that Canberrans =
are=20
the most educated an politically astute of all Australians (about one =
third have=20
tertiary degrees), and a lot either work in the Public Service, or in =
other=20
government related/funded areas.&nbsp; The Liberal Candidate had better be =
very=20
good, as margaret Reid was a very good senator for the ACT, and was =
well=20
respected by both sides of Parliament.&nbsp; The ACT Legislative =
Assembly=20
already has greens on board (I think... it might have changed - the =
other=20
parties might have just got more green!) and every candidate knows that =
the=20
average Canberran is very concerned about the city in which they live =
(which is=20
why the last Lib. government was chucked out).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Loyalty to the name of Midnight Oil will matter a lot =
less to=20
Canberrans than others - all the years of 'no compromise' will be less of =
an=20
advantage for a group of political hard heads (which is your average =
Canberran -=20
even though many don't want to be!).&nbsp; It might even be a disadvantage=
=20
depending on how well Peter has performed (and has been seen to perform) =
as a=20
politician.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>I used to row with Kate Lundy, and she is a lovely =
and=20
intellegant and hard working person (she left school to be a brickies =
labourer!)=20
- very committed.&nbsp; I think that Peter and Kate would be an excellent =
team=20
in Canberra.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Oh and Brian - bugger the brumbies!! I'm a novocastrian=
=20
now!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>go Knights!!!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_a1GumlrVwueKo/JH7NXkNA)--