Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Reflections

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:16:40 -0600

Hi all,

Have enjoyed reading all the recent posts. Just like to share my favourite
Oils moments with you guys ;

* 1982 - 10yo - first taste of Oils, getting a lift to play footy in my
mate's elder brother's VW Combi van, with 10-1 (on cassette of course)
blasting through the distorted sound system and thinking "wow, this is much
better than Devo or Dexy's Midnight Runners"

* 1985 - 12yo - on a school excursion to the Sydney Botanical Gardens,
seeing this bald gargantuan figure sitting on a park bench surrounded by a
camera & sound guy, being interviewed by Donnie Sutherland about the newly
released Red Sails album. Donnie getting pissed off with us & telling us off
for constantly walking in the shot "if you kids don't behave, we'll go
somewhere else !!"......PG trying not to laugh at Donnie's little outburst.

* 1987 - 15yo - coercing some friends, who were in the school band, to play
the brass components of Beds & Dead Heart, even though they weren't Oils
fans. They liked it so much, they ended up persuading the rest of the band
to learn both songs with the hope of playing them at the end or year award
ceremonies. They only play Beds. The drummer said that the drumming in Dead
Heart is just too difficult, so he couldn't play it. I didn't have the heart
to tell him that a drum machine was used in the original. If you're out
there, sorry Steve.

* 1988 - 16yo - Bondi Beach "Turn Back the Tide" anti-pollution concert.
100,000 people cheer madly when PG makes an appearance. Unfortunately, he is
alone & apologises for the other band members' absence. Launches into his
usual articulate rant mode & he is gone.

* 1990 - 18yo - my first Oils gig 15th November, Sydney Ent Centre (BSM
tour). Front row seats (not that we needed them). Standing up against the
barrier. Not caring about the bruised ribs i'd have the next day. Being
blown away by the intensity of this band. Help push PG back up to the stage
after one of his manic runs through the crowd. Joining 10,000 fans in a
deafening "OOOOIIIILLLLLLS" chant which seemed to last for hours.

* 1991 - 19yo - first outdoor Oils gig, "One For the Homeless" at Sydney
Showground. 40,000 people singing & moving as one. The Salvo Army Band
providing the brass touch to several 10-1, Red Sails & D&D tracks. Seeing a
great band called the Hoodoo Gurus as support act.

* 1992 - 2001 - attend several gigs in Sydney, ranging in audience size from
10,000 Syd Ent Cent to 200 at the Bridge Hotel in Balmain (where PG decided
to sing Borderline from a median strip in the middle of busy Victoria Rd).
Intensity levels do not drop, regardless of venue/audience size.
Consistently, tight & flawless. Having a beer with Martin & Bones after a
hot & sweaty summer Selinas gig in 1996. Both excited at the upcoming
US/Europe Breathe tour. Both looking like they had just run a marathon, but
still keen for a friendly chat.

* 2002 - 30yo - attend final gig at Parra Leagues. Amazed at how a bunch of
guys in their late 40s can play 10 gigs in 11 days and still not miss a
beat. As soon as the gig is over, I am already looking forward to the next
one. Little did I know there wasn't going to be one. Still kicking myself
for not making the effort to go to Twin Towns after seeing the chronological
setlist.

Realising that all things must come to an end. Looking forward to some new
music from RH, MR, JM & BH. Excited at the prospect at what PG can do for
this nation. Privileged to have had the Oils play such a significant part in
my life.

Regards,

Vince

*