Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The End.

Rhonda kayak@sympatico.ca
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:42:25 -0500

Hi fellow mourners,

Oh. My. God.

I finally managed to get on the site from campus today and re-sent
myself the link to home, which finally worked.  But what a thing to see
when I got there.  Thank you to those of you who took the time to send
me a screenshot.

Though I went through the rest of the day in a total disbelieving daze,
I managed to stave off the first crying fit until I reached the privacy
of my car and the cloak of evening on the way home.  I'd had a sick
feeling in the pit of my stomach, like some others, ever since the
reports of the last few Australian gigs came in...they were rocking
harder than ever, the arm in arm goodbye, the playing the set in
chronological order...what sealed it for me was the report of when Rob
gave away his snare drum to his stage tech, thanking him for 10 years of
help....something big was afoot but I didn't want to believe what was
coming.  I hoped it would just be another semi-extended break of a year
or two, time off for another Ghosties album & other side projects, maybe
some politics for Peter.  But, from all accounts of their recent
super-rocking, this WAS the farewell tour....as they left the stage in
each city they were probably saying mental farewells.  Although I am
sooooo thankful (even more now in retrospect) that I finally saw them in
Milwaukee, I had really hoped to see them raging on their home turf
sometime this year or next year.

After all this time, I feel like I lost five family members in one shot
today.  They have been SUCH an inspiration, the power and the passion, a
huge positive influence on so many of us....I can directly credit their
influence for my decision to return to university for my masters this
past fall, in environmental studies (ecology & conservation of
endangered species).  I wanted to be Peter Garrett when I grow up
(though I'll keep my hair, thanks).

I really hope the list goes on.  It's been a great community to be a
part of.  Also hoping that they won't be totally closing down their
website (though it appears they are...guess that merch section isn't
ever going to be completed now) so we can keep tabs on the rest of the
guys, any further releases (can always hope).  If they need someone to
continue site maintenance, I volunteer.

I agree with Miron - that compared with world news, the breakup of a
band is inconsequential - but what a band.  They did add a light to our
lives, as a positive force in a negative world.  I am so going to miss
Peter's spastic pinwheeling, Rob's grinning & thrashing (and my god,
those shoulders), the interplay of Martin's & Jim's guitars, Bones's
sweet voice...it's going to be a few days before I can listen to one of
their cd's without crying, and I might have to change my computer
screensaver for awhile to avoid the constant reminder.

Peter, whatever prompted your decision, I respect it and wish you the
best, but you're leaving a huge hole in all of us.  Please keep us
updated and let us know what you're doing in your post-Oils life so we
can continue our support.
Rob, Martin, Bones, Peter, & Jim - thank you.  For 25 wonderful years,
for everything that I can't say right now.

Love to everyone - Oils & Powdies,
Rhonda