Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - Aussie PM Howard's commitment to reconciliation

Phil Stanton phil@eqsystems.co.uk
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:40:22 +0100

I forgot to post this when it came to me a month ago...

//////////

geeez. not having to answer a question because "it was couched
in the ironic" -
glad that doesn't apply here, or I'd never get any answers...

from the ABC's web site:

----------------------------

Howard questioned over 'fulsome commitment' to reconciliation
Monday 1
December, 1997 (3:16pm AEST)

[Australian] Prime Minister John Howard has not had to answer
an Opposition question about
his use of the word "fulsome" in last night's address to the
nation on native
title.

Mr Howard said he wanted to stress the fulsome commitment of
his Government to
the process of reconciliation.

Labor frontbencher, Laurie Brereton, asked how Mr Howard's use
of the word
should be interpreted.

He asked: "In accordance with the Macquarie Dictionary, as
gushing and
insincere or the Heineman Dictionary, as excessive in an
insincere way, or the
Collins Dictionary, as excessive or insincere, especially in an
offensive or
distasteful way?"

The Speaker, Bob Halverson, ruled the question out of order
because it was
couched in the ironic, so Mr Howard was not required to
respond.