Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] KFOG concert CD forthcoming

leftjab leftjab@well.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:49:31 -0700

A few people have e-mailed me, and rest assured, the master DAT tape came
out very well.  As usual, KFOG chopped up and re-ordered the songs from the
March 22 show, and slightly talked over the beginning or ending of a couple
of songs.  But no radio station has ever treated me better -- I won free
tickets, and they broadcast almost 2/3 of the show .  The recording sounds
very good in headphones, not quite like a soundboard CD, but as good
quality as FM gets. The broadcast was about an hour, with more than 48
minutes of music and choice Peter patter.

the original set list:

Redneck Wonderland
Too Much Sunshine
Bullroarer
Under the Overpass
Dreamworld
Luritja Way (Rob stand up kit, acoustic guitars)
Time to Heal ( " )
Golden Age ( " )
Short Memory ( " )
Blue Sky Mine (")
Say Your Prayers
Sometimes
Dead Heart
King of the Mountain
Forgotten Years
E: Beds are Burning

the KFOG setlist:

Beds
Luritja Way
Sometimes
Blue Sky Mine
Dreamworld (followed by Peter introducing "Luritja Way", but the song
immediately following is ...)
Say Your Prayers
Golden Age
Time to Heal
The Dead Heart
King of the Mountain >
Forgotten Years

although KFOG smoothed some of the crowd noise and segues between songs,
and talked over songs a bit and announced their call letters between songs,
there were discernible breaks between almost all the songs (not King >
Forgotten, which doesn't need to be broken up; one or two others have
strange breaks) ...it is possible for me to rearrange the song list in the
order played in the show and have all of what was played, with a little
Sound Forge editing, and as few KFOG sounds as possible:

Dreamworld
Luritja Way
Time to Heal
Golden Age
Blue Sky Mine
Say Your Prayers
Sometimes
The Dead Heart
King of the Mountain >
Forgotten Years
E: Beds

This is a pretty good result-- the broadcast skipped the first 4 songs, but
then only "Short Memory" (too bad, of course) is missing out of the last 12
songs, and the show did pick up energy considerably as it went on.  I
recorded the master DAT to hard drive and did some edits and made a CD --
almost perfect, but I want to refine it a bit.  I've been lazy and haven't
gotten an audience tape of the whole show yet, which i really should do to
listen to a couple of places to make sure of the edits.   I can't really do
it and get it out right now, though, as I'm about to go out of town for a
bit and have lots of work until then.  But I do promise to weed or even
tree this project in early-mid September.

Jonathan