Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Was the U.S. at fault for 9/11?

Dan Heaton dnheaton@yahoo.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

No, I don't believe that the U.S. deserves blame for
the actions on 9/11.

However, I am extremely bothered by the attitudes of
some of our leaders, most notably Mr. Bush.  Instead
of discussing why so many countries dislike the U.S.
and its policies, they bottle it all down into a
"we're good, they're evil" idea. This view is far too
simplistic.

This is not a question of changing the tenets of the
country because of a terrorist act. However, the
current White House administration does push the "we
are better than the world" idea. They have ignored
pacts supported by nearly all of the other major
countries (Kyoto, for example) and then come up with
their own insulting plans instead.  Without even
getting into discussions of specific points, I believe
that Bush is not helping matters with this
condescending attitude.

The U.S. does perform many good deeds around the
world, but we must recognize that no country is
perfect and keep an open mind about our actions.  I am
worried by the suppressions of certain freedoms
spurred by Ashcroft and others after 9/11.  This is
not the solution at all.

Wow, this was my second post today.  This topic really
gets me going.  It's good to see a variety of
differing views, even if I disagree with some.

Dan

"Did I hear you say, my country right or wrong?"