Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VT show, photo policy

Erin Coker ercoke@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:56:20 -0400

<P><BR>I think i may be able to add to this post...I am a photojournalist and was on the press list to take photos the night of the Vermont show. Indeed, they do discourage flash photography. I was in the front row balcony and got some pretty cool shots from up there. As directed, I only shot the first three songs, in the past, of the majority of bands I have photographed, it has always been the first three songs with no flash.&nbsp; Shooting three songs, i manaed to shoot about 160 pictures, hey i was excited.&nbsp; Anyway, lets be smart here, flash is annoying and there are ways around it. I helped my friend Bruce with some pointers before the Irving Plaza show a bit ago.&nbsp; They were, if you must shoot a disposable, get one with 800 speed film, fuji is my preference.&nbsp; Bruce, being 6'8 still got booted, and he didnt even use a flash. I think that was a rarity.&nbsp; When sneaking in a camera, I have a small olympus, the key is to get a camera with an aperature of 2.8, that allows more light into the camera.&nbsp; Ok, well enough rambling you all...good luck and feel free to contact me!&nbsp; here are my website addresses, one dedicated to music, mainly the oils! the other you can check out my concert photographs. When I am working, I do shoot with a Nikon D1 digital camera.</P>
<P><A href="http://www.geocities.com/postcoke/">http://www.geocities.com/postcoke/</A></P>
<P><A href="http://www.geocities.com/postcoke2/postcokeswork.html">http://www.geocities.com/postcoke2/postcokeswork.html</A><BR>Thanks All!&nbsp; Till NYC!</P>
<P><BR>Erin </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Jeff Emidy <BALKI@WEBGATHER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: balki@webgather.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Oil list, Midnight" <POWDERWORKS@CS.COLORADO.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] VT show, photo policy
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:53:17 -0400
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Workers:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; A little more on the apparent photo policy:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; At both the Mercury Lounge show years back and the Nov 2001
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Boston
<DIV></DIV>&gt;show, I took photos and didn't get any notice until the stupid flash
<DIV></DIV>&gt;on
<DIV></DIV>&gt;that freakin' cardboard camera wouldn't stop going off. Then I got
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;comment from security (this was in Boston).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Note to other workers: Don't use your flash. The photos come out
<DIV></DIV>&gt;really really cool without the flash, the lighting shows up, it
<DIV></DIV>&gt;doesn't
<DIV></DIV>&gt;anger anyone (including other fans), and your flash range is
<DIV></DIV>&gt;probably
<DIV></DIV>&gt;only about 10 feet anyway - less than the distance to Peter's head,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;unless he's lying down (or so it seems).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; In VT, they were trying to be hardcore on cameras - of course,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;everyone was using their flashes, it was like the Oscars or
<DIV></DIV>&gt;something.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I may have been noticed by Peter as I prepped to take a shot - he
<DIV></DIV>&gt;kind
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of either posed or glared at me, but it wasn't the shot I wanted, so
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;didn't take it. Then again, the guy next to me with the digital
<DIV></DIV>&gt;camera
<DIV></DIV>&gt;had already taken about 6 flash shots (I think this was during the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;second song), so PG may have been glaring at him. This guy was
<DIV></DIV>&gt;later
<DIV></DIV>&gt;warned by the security guy who stood in front of Jess, that if he
<DIV></DIV>&gt;took
<DIV></DIV>&gt;another shot he was out. -Are you out there camera guy? looked like
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you
<DIV></DIV>&gt;got some good shots.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Also, there was a guy spotting cameras from the "balcony" and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;alerting the security guys. This was the big guy with the skinny
<DIV></DIV>&gt;little
<DIV></DIV>&gt;black rimmed glasses.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; One more thing: did anyone notice that there was a big, bald,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;sort of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Peter-esque bouncer and some guy roaming around who looked like
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Bones? I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;thought for a while that we were going to see a cover band.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Nice to see you again Grunion, Jon &amp; Sena, Jess, and the new
<DIV></DIV>&gt;folk,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;camper people, Birmingham hoodie guy, et al.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; And to the guy who went on stage after drumsticks: you angered
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;roadie enough that he gave sticks to anyone who asked and gave me
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Rob's
<DIV></DIV>&gt;setlist. Thanks a heap! Patience is a virtue.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; -Balki
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;