Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Travel log/ Some MOC

Brigitte Mounier bmounier@sympatico.ca
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:26:20 -0400

All right, James doesn't have it, here's the proper story of the journey.

Friday 10:00 am. We start gloriously by being so caught up in our
chatting we completely forget to turn, and drive an extra hour out of
the way.

1h30 pm: lunch in Hanover New Hampshire. This gorgeous blue eyed,
blond girl, at the table next to us tries to get James' attention.
She throws a large glass of water on the floor. When that fails, she
gets very upset. Her mother has to take her outside. She's 2 months
old.

3h30: The picklebarrel, which I keep calling the
Crakerbarrel...whatever...it is cold here in the mountains! I decide
the trip is going too smoothly and just for fun, I lock us out of the
car...We thus have a chance to get cold and search for  a tow truck
in what Peter appropriately calls a ghost town.

7:00 We line up for the show, in sub-zero temperatures nobody had
expected. For the next hour, the croud slowly freezes down to the
Bones.

8:30  Doors open. We have to put up with an opening band and an army
of security jocks who take themselves very seriously thank you. The
place IS tiny. I am, of course, front row center, (I'm thinking about
copyrighting that spot). The step called stage arrives at knee
height, the guys are about 3 feet from me. Unreal... Can't move much,
too crowded by Mr Security beside me, scanning the crowd with his
piercing eyes (at least I think that's how he feels).
Luritja way and tone poem still marvels played live. Bullroarer to
make James happy and Comfortable place on the couch to make me
exctatic.
Rob's drumsticks fly all over, one hitting me close to the eye since
we're SO close. I don't know what is the biggest threat, the flying
drumsticks or the open claws to catch them. I lead a very dangerous
life.

Some ungodly hour: Show ends, Peter, Jim and Bones hurry away. Rob
and a very smiling Martin sign a few things... I get to hear Rob's
French...seems pretty good :)

Saturday am: we drive to Boston where I do a superb job of getting
straight to Rich Karakoudas place. (if I say so myself) Boston is in
full gorgeous bloom with a sunny, ideal day.

We walk down to the Earthfest. We meet the lovely Nina and her two
patient, funny friends, as well as helpful Chris and Alan Bernstein.
We hear music. You know, other bands.
Oils come on at 3:00. The stage is very high and I (front row center
left) am at least 50 feet away. So they really are sort of isolated
on their island, the very opposite of the previous night.
Peter is in fine form, with a kind of satisfied, inward smile. I
won't speculate on why. Rob is a grinning machine. I particularly
enjoy Only the strong. They end with Beds. Rich hilariously remarks
that well into that last song, the 100 000 people go "Oh, is THAT who
that is?"

Afterwards, well, we meander around. Nina is a short, pretty,
talkative, endearing girl. You immediately want to protect her. She
manages to get a pass to get on the right side of the barriers. I,
being the tall ugly duck, stay on the outside of them.
I still end up having a few words with Rob who tells me that although
the Ghosties are pretty much on hold, he managed to join a new band:
a jazz and Blues one. (Of course, he's got so much time on his
hands...??)
I am totally amazed to run by Rob and Bones lining up with every one
to get a plate of food from the caterer. Everyone being the Vips, the
volunteers, the nobodys that somehow got a pass, quite a crowd.
I'm used to the film industry's treatment of stars and we're very far
from that!! Anyway.
Then I join James who's waiting in line to get things signed. I don't
do autographs myself, for some reason. Peter has a huge smile and I
shake his hand with a word of appreciation while he half-bows
politely saying: "Peter". I'm still recovering from that. What did he
think, that I was in line for the loos and mistakenly ended up at the
tent and he had to introduce himself? That I still haven't figured
out which is which of those aussies? I know, I know, he can't guess
which ones are devoted fans. However, I hugely enjoy the irony in
that.
Finally, all the fans have had their share of happiness, we all
gather around, waiting for James who discovered a calling for picking
up garbage...
We go eat some food at a restaurant where the waiter takes such a
dislike to James that he throws his pizza on the floor.
The rest is very fuzzy.I am sunburned, dead tired, seeing double. I
know I enjoy a wonderful night of sleep at Rich's place, thanks again
you generous mate!
We drive back to snow in Mtl.

And try to face the sobering fact that we are back to our regular
lives and condemned to be Oil-less for an undetermined amount of
time. VERY TOUGH.

End of travel log.

Brigitte