Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] reviews

Chris Nelson sporto219@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 23:52:52 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Jane R <bunge91@hotmail.com>

> Who really looks at a review and thinks, I wont buy the CD because the
> reviewer thinks its crap. Ultimatley it is up to the person thinking about
> buying the CD or going to a concert for that matter.

----

In general I agree with you.  If I'm interested in a particular band or
artist, I won't let a bad review stop a planned purchased.  On the flip side
though, I've more than once purchased a CD from a band or artist that I was
unfamiliar with based upon a favorable review.  For example, I bought my
first Paul Kelly & the Messengers CD many years ago after reading a review
in Rolling Stone that piqued my curiousity.

The thing that irritates me is that the reviewer's half-assed critique is a
disservice to those potential new listeners who might have considered
checking out (and subsequently enjoyed) Capricornia if it had gotten a
decent review.  Not everyone has friends like us to show them the way to
Oilydom!
;-)