Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Capricornia review in the Hartford Courant

Tom Giffey tom.giffey@web1.ecol.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:54:04 -0600

Hi everyone.

As a longtime Midnight Oil fan, I can't disagree more with Mr. Danton's assessment of ďCapricornia,Ē which I think should be counted among the bandís best work. However, having read the angry reactions to the review posted on Powderworks, some of which have apparently been sent to Danton, I'd like to offer my personal perspective to the discussion.

I work as a reporter for a daily newspaper in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Last May, a member of the rap group Insane Clown Posse got into a bar fight here in Eau Claire. I happened to be filling in for the court reporter a few days later (I usually write about politics) and I noticed he had been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Since he is a somewhat prominent figure, I figured the case was interesting and wrote a short story about it. I immediately began to get extremely angry and even violent e-mails from ICP fans. At first I thought they were funny, and wrote a humorous column about the experience. The fans didn't take kindly to the column, either, and over the course of a few days I got dozens of even angrier and more profane e-mails. Three of them were explicit death threats. (A sample subject line: ďI HOPE YOU DIE MOTHERF*****!!!!!Ē) I didnít think the situation was funny anymore.

So whatís my point? I believe (at least I sincerely hope) that fans of the Oils have too much intelligence and class to send death threats or even profanities to those who dislike or criticize the band. Iíve been a member of this list for 7 Ĺ years and have had the privilege to observe many great Powderworks discussions and even meet some of you kind, friendly Powderworkers in person.

However, the angry words that have been flying have given me pause. I would encourage anyone who feels the urge to e-mail Danton to take a few deep breaths before sitting down at the keyboard. Be constructive and kind in your criticism, donít swear, insult or threaten, and realize most of all that heís just another working newspaper stiff who probably has to listen to dozens of discs a week, most of which he probably dislikes. He didnít like this particular one, either. Maybe he doesnít care for the band in general. Maybe his lunch disagreed with him. Maybe he doesnít like cows. Simply put, give the poor guy a break. After all, if you want to convince somebody that the Oils are a talented band with a vital message and admirably loyal fans, donít threaten to urinate on him.

Sincerely,
Tom

From: "Luke Blackbourn" <lblackbourn@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:26:20 +1000

<P>If there is one thing we can all unite on, perhaps it could be to urinate on Mr Danton if he should show up at any Oils-related event, as I think his ignorance is permanently ingrained. I look forward to numerous emails from Hartford confirming the deed has been done.</P>
<P>PS they're not a quintet, they're a band. Maybe he is a frustrated high-brow composer.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Chris Nelson" <SPORTO219@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
<DIV></DIV>>To: <POWDERWORKS@CS.COLORADO.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: [Powderworks] Capricornia review in the Hartford Courant
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:22:45 -0500
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>The following review appeared in the Hartford Courant on 4/4/02. It doesn't
<DIV></DIV>>even sound like this guy even really listened to the CD or made an effort to
<DIV></DIV>>understand the meanings behind some of the songs. Arghhhh... frustrating...
<DIV></DIV>>