Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] My letter to Hartford Courant reviewer

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:43:58 -0400

--MS_Mac_OE_3100880639_94800_MIME_Part

Bill: Excellent letter to the Hartford Courant!!  I hope he gets the point.
Chris (Nelson): Congratulations on your voicemail from Peter!  that's one
I'd keep for awhile.
Tim: another name that rhymes with Karena - add me, I'm Sena
Erin: we'll be at the Killington show, see you there! And welcome to the
list.

--Glitch
"when will i be yours...when will i be mine?" --midnight oil

From: "Laura Wolfe" <casalobo@lightspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:50:08 -0800
To: "Powderworks" <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Subject: [Powderworks] My letter to Hartford Courant reviewer

Here is the letter I just emailed to the editor at the Hartford  Courant
regarding Eric Danton's moronic review of "Capricornia."  Hope y'all like
it.

Bill Wolfe

May I suggest that Eric Danton get his facts straight before he presumes to
review an album?  His review of Midnight Oil's excellent return to form,
"Capricornia," contains numerous errors of fact; it also suggests that he
did not listen to the album closely or often enough to form a valid critical
opinion.

Mr. Danton states that Midnight Oil's 1987 breakthrough album, "Diesel and
Dust," sold "reasonably well."  In fact, it sold approximately 2 million
copies in the U.S. alone and spent a fair amount of time in the Billboard
top 20.

He then states that, in the 15 years since then, the band has released eight
albums which "have gone nowhere on the charts or...in the American musical
consciousness."  Wrong again.  Their 1990 release, "Blue Sky Mining," sold
over a million copies and made the top 20.  Oil did a worldwide tour of
large venues for most of 1990.  In the southern California region where I
live, they played three shows in four days to a total of nearly 30,000
people.  They returned in 1993 with "Earth and Sun and Moon," which sold
well and was the basis for a US tour that ran from June through October of
that year.  The last figure I saw indicated that Midnight Oil has sold more
than 4 million albums in the U.S. alone.

Midnight Oil's low profile since 1994 was a conscious choice by the band to
remain in Australia with their families.  Nevertheless, they released three
excellent albums, none of which Mr. Danton has apparently ever heard: 1996's
"Breathe," 1998's "Redneck Wonderland," and 2000's "The Real Thing" (a
collection of unplugged performances and four new songs that was released
only in Australia).

As for his comments about "Capricornia," it seems that Mr. Danton has a
different CD in his possession than I do.  In fact, the band's "political
screeds" have not become "increasingly humorless and shrill."  On the new
album, I would venture to say there is not a single song that could fairly
be called either a "screed" or "shrill."  I wonder what songs Mr. Danton is
referring to.  Midnight Oil has become much less political and far more
spiritual in their approach to issues.  In this regard, I would draw Mr.
Danton's attention to "Golden Age," "Under the Overpass," "Tone Poem," and
the title track. Other than "Say Your Prayers," a track about East Timor
from a 2000 benefit album, I'm willing to bet that Mr. Danton can't tell me
what specific political issue any other song on the CD addresses.  That is
the band's intention.  They have matured and mellowed, and they are,
objectively speaking, neither humorless nor shrill.

Finally, although Mr. Danton states that the CD feels like an album "even
the musicians didn't put their hearts into," "Capricornia" was a labor of
love for Midnight Oil during the past two years.  They believe it is their
best album since at least 1993, if not 1987.  The fact that radio is
embracing the album -- and that Midnight Oil is about to launch a long North
American tour (from late April through July)-- shows that this comeback
album is resonating with their fans.  I believe "Capricornia" will be
discovered by many new fans as well.

Perhaps Mr. Danton needs to listen to it a few more times, paying close
attention to both the music and the lyrics.  Should I send him my copy, so
we can be sure he's listening to an actual copy of "Capricornia"?  Or
perhaps he'd rather listen to the wonderful musical contributions from the
likes of Creed, Pink, or Alien Ant Farm?  At the very least, he should see
Midnight Oil when they perform in Hartford; he obviously needs to experience
one of the greatest, most passionate live acts ever if he is to appreciate
their music and message.

Bill Wolfe

The thought manifests as the word;
the word manifests as the deed;
the deed develops into the habit;
and habit hardens into character.
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
and let it spring from love
born out of concern for all things.
-- The Buddha

--MS_Mac_OE_3100880639_94800_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Powderworks] My letter to Hartford Courant reviewer</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Bill: Excellent letter to the Hartford Courant!! &nbsp;I hope he gets the p=
oint.<BR>
Chris (Nelson): Congratulations on your voicemail from Peter! &nbsp;that's =
one I'd keep for awhile. &nbsp;<BR>
Tim: another name that rhymes with Karena - add me, I'm Sena<BR>
Erin: we'll be at the Killington show, see you there! And welcome to the li=
st.<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>--Glitch<BR>
&quot;when will i be yours...when will i be mine?&quot; --midnight oil<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><B>From: </B>&quot;Laura Wolfe&quot; &lt;casalobo@lightspeed.ne=
t&gt;<BR>
<B>Reply-To: </B>&quot;Laura Wolfe&quot; &lt;casalobo@lightspeed.net&gt;<BR=

<B>Date: </B>Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:50:08 -0800<BR>
<B>To: </B>&quot;Powderworks&quot; &lt;powderworks@cs.colorado.edu&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>[Powderworks] My letter to Hartford Courant reviewer<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Here is the letter I just ema=
iled to the editor at the Hartford &nbsp;Courant regarding Eric Danton's mor=
onic review of &quot;Capricornia.&quot; &nbsp;Hope y'all like it.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Bill Wolfe<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">May I suggest that Eric Danton get his fa=
cts straight before he presumes to review an album? &nbsp;His review of Midn=
ight Oil's excellent return to form, &quot;Capricornia,&quot; contains numer=
ous errors of fact; it also suggests that he did not listen to the album clo=
sely or often enough to form a valid critical opinion.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Mr. Danton states that Midnight Oil's 198=
7 breakthrough album, &quot;Diesel and Dust,&quot; sold &quot;reasonably wel=
l.&quot; &nbsp;In fact, it sold approximately 2 million copies in the U.S. a=
lone and spent a fair amount of time in the Billboard top 20.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">He then states that, in the 15 years sinc=
e then, the band has released eight albums which &quot;have gone nowhere on =
the charts or...in the American musical consciousness.&quot; &nbsp;Wrong aga=
in. &nbsp;Their 1990 release, &quot;Blue Sky Mining,&quot; sold over a milli=
on copies and made the top 20. &nbsp;Oil did a worldwide tour of large venue=
s for most of 1990. &nbsp;In the southern California region where I live, th=
ey played three shows in four days to a total of nearly 30,000 people. &nbsp=
;They returned in 1993 with &quot;Earth and Sun and Moon,&quot; which sold w=
ell and was the basis for a US tour that ran from June through October of th=
at year. &nbsp;The last figure I saw indicated that Midnight Oil has sold mo=
re than 4 million albums in the U.S. alone.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Midnight Oil's low profile since 1994 was=
 a conscious choice by the band to remain in Australia with their families. =
&nbsp;Nevertheless, they released three excellent albums, none of which Mr. =
Danton has apparently ever heard: 1996's &quot;Breathe,&quot; 1998's &quot;R=
edneck Wonderland,&quot; and 2000's &quot;The Real Thing&quot; (a collection=
 of unplugged performances and four new songs that was released only in Aust=
ralia).<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">As for his comments about &quot;Capricorn=
ia,&quot; it seems that Mr. Danton has a different CD in his possession than=
 I do. &nbsp;In fact, the band's &quot;political screeds&quot; have not beco=
me &quot;increasingly humorless and shrill.&quot; &nbsp;On the new album, I =
would venture to say there is not a single song that could fairly be called =
either a &quot;screed&quot; or &quot;shrill.&quot; &nbsp;I wonder what songs=
 Mr. Danton is referring to. &nbsp;Midnight Oil has become much less politic=
al and far more spiritual in their approach to issues. &nbsp;In this regard,=
 I would draw Mr. Danton's attention to &quot;Golden Age,&quot; &quot;Under =
the Overpass,&quot; &quot;Tone Poem,&quot; and the title track. Other than &=
quot;Say Your Prayers,&quot; a track about East Timor from a 2000 benefit al=
bum, I'm willing to bet that Mr. Danton can't tell me what specific politica=
l issue any other song on the CD addresses. &nbsp;That is the band's intenti=
on. &nbsp;They have matured and mellowed, and they are, objectively speaking=
, neither humorless nor shrill.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Finally, although Mr. Danton states that =
the CD feels like an album &quot;even the musicians didn't put their hearts =
into,&quot; &quot;Capricornia&quot; was a labor of love for Midnight Oil dur=
ing the past two years. &nbsp;They believe it is their best album since at l=
east 1993, if not 1987. &nbsp;The fact that radio is embracing the album -- =
and that Midnight Oil is about to launch a long North American tour (from la=
te April through July)-- shows that this comeback album is resonating with t=
heir fans. &nbsp;I believe &quot;Capricornia&quot; will be discovered by man=
y new fans as well. &nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Perhaps Mr. Danton needs to listen to it =
a few more times, paying close attention to both the music and the lyrics. &=
nbsp;Should I send him my copy, so we can be sure he's listening to an actua=
l copy of &quot;Capricornia&quot;? &nbsp;Or perhaps he'd rather listen to th=
e wonderful musical contributions from the likes of Creed, Pink, or Alien An=
t Farm? &nbsp;At the very least, he should see Midnight Oil when they perfor=
m in Hartford; he obviously needs to experience one of the greatest, most pa=
ssionate live acts ever if he is to appreciate their music and message.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Bill Wolfe<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">The thought manifests as the word;<BR>
the word manifests as the deed;<BR>
the deed develops into the habit;<BR>
and habit hardens into character.<BR>
So watch the thought and its ways with care, <BR>
and let it spring from love<BR>
born out of concern for all things.<BR>
-- The Buddha<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3100880639_94800_MIME_Part--