Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (powd) banned songs

C-ko Linde spinifex@speakeasy.org
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, catherine griffiths wrote:

> What no Killing An Arab?
> I was a uni DJ during the Gulf War and we had a list of songs deemed
> unplayable (including the above), US Forces wasn't on the list, so I played
> it at least once a show...

The argument that I've heard about why this song isn't 'banned' is that it's
too obscure. The stations that are being targeted by this 'ban'wouldn't play
this song anyway - in fact, they'sd probably not play any Cure song because
of the band's cultish status.

If this song was done my Radiohead, it'd probably be a different matter.
(Not to imply that Radiohead would do such a sing, but that they're
currently quite popular).

C-ko

--
"It's hard to enjoy a $40 bottle of wine while watching a deeply troubled
woman screaming "BITH! HOAR!" at a one-legged pigeon for 20 minutes."