Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] STOP

John Ehrig JEhrig@symmetricom.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:41:41 -0700

Andrew,

It's a shame some people on this list just don't get it.  If you think
Midnight Oil is just a rock band and that powderworks is just a list about a
rock band then I feel really sorry for you.  MO continues to take a stand on
important political issues, even now after it has long past been fashionable
to do so in the music business.  I would go so far as to say, MO's continued
political songs have cost them dearly in popularity and in their wallets.
MO wants to change the world in some small way through music that teaches us
about the rights of indigenous people, the dire state of the ww environment,
and yes - the stupidity of hatred.  These topics belong on this list and
should have equal importance to those on this list as the music does.  If
you are looking for just a rock band and for a list just about that rock
band, well then I would hazard a guess that 99.99% of the fans lists out
there are exactly for you.  I hope that powderworks can rise as far above
the average fan list as MO does above average rock bands.

-----Original Message-----
From: andrew pye [mailto:apye@austarnet.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 1:50 AM
To: powderworks mail list
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] STOP

> This is primarely a Midnight Oil (or related) discussion list. Let's be
> honest, we are humans and we do have different points of view and
different
> standards for rights or wrongs, we they should or not do.

> Eventually for those to still wants to globally discuss or argue about the
> subject, I'm pretty sure there are other discussion lists available in the
> Inet.

> Last but not least I want to express my condolences to the victims and
> relatives...

I whole heartedly agree! I haven't even bothered to read any of the posts to
this list on the topic because this isn't supposed to be forum for it. I
have watched plenty of it on TV and have been as shocked and disappointed by
the act as anyone, and extend my deepest sympathies to anyone who has been
affected by it. But if you need to talk about it, please, do it in the
appropriate place or in private. Not on a list dedicated to a rock band!

---