Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Sad commentary about society

Margaret Benzer benzer@mail.mc.maricopa.edu
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:23:14 +0000

There was a tragedy yesterday that so far hasn't hit the nation's airwaves, but
I feel it needs to be spread.  I was born and raised and still live in Mesa,
Arizona, USA.  Many people on this list are aware of this because of my rants.
Until the early 80's, it was primarily a white, Mormon town.  It is now quite
large (450,000) with a very diverse population.  And what happened yesterday in
my hometown makes me sick.

Mid-afternoon yesterday, some idiot shot and killed a gas station attendant
point-blank.  Why?  Because he was wearing a turban.  This man moved here from
India three years ago for his safety because he is Sihk.  Not to be satisfied
with one shooting, the guy continued five miles (8 kms) away and started
shooting up another gas station owned by two Lebanese brothers.  I have had
occasion to talk with one of the owners, and he was so nice.  In this case, no
one was injured.  But the idiot wasn't done.  He drove half a mile away and
started shooting at a house where an Afghani family lives.  They caught the
perpetrator a few hours later.  His comments?  "God bless America."  Makes me
proud to say I'm related to such scum.  NOT!!

What gives these pro-America types the mentality that they can shoot and kill
someone who looks Arabic?  An Arizona State University student was beat up on
Thursday because he is Muslim.  Arab shops around town have been shot at.  The
mosques are under heavy police patrols for their safety.  Why can't people
separate what a terrorist does from his heritage?  Why punish all Muslims or
Afghanis for the actions of one?  Argh!!

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I had to get this out before I go to
sleep tonight.  I hope to go see my Muslim friends later this week to offer
them my support.  I just wish it were under better circumstances.

Onn a happy note, I now have tickets for both Midnight Oil shows (Lost Wages
and Phoenix).  They better not cancel the tour as I really need to hear their
message right now.

Keep the peace.

Margaret