Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC Help - Australian Collection/Paul Kelly.

joey daley joeydaley@hotmail.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:29:58 +1000

<P>Alexei,</P>
<P>You said not too obvious,but I had to check-Paul Kelly?</P>
<P>An incredible songwriter and musician whose songs are immediately capable of putting the listener in the situation of which he's singing whether it be a bad marriage or just a hot day or best of all, at the MCG watching the cricket.</P>
<P>I'm going to see him at the Corner in Melbourne next Thurs 1/11 and looking forward to it.Anyone who was at the Sydney concerts, guess who the support is ? That old rockabilly Dan Brodie and his Arrows. Can't wait to see the drummer again who sat in such&nbsp;a&nbsp;cloud of smoke each concert I thought he might&nbsp;breathe his last there and then.</P>
<P>Are any workers going to that concert at all? Let me know. To all the current Oils concertgoers, keep those reports rolling in. They're excellent, some of you guys must have superb memories.</P>
<P>Hi to Lou, Krusty and anyone else I met in Sydney. I thought you seemed quite nice myself!</P>
<P>Cheers, Jo.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: ALEXEI <ALEXEIS@USA.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] NMOC Help - Australian Collection
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: 24 Oct 2001 16:38:23 EEST
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Guys,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;As some of you are aware, I am a collector of Australian music. I think my
<DIV></DIV>&gt;collection has grown to become the largest at least in the former Soviet
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Union. I have bands and albums I've long stopped counting -- but never stop
<DIV></DIV>&gt;admiring. Some of them won't ring a bell even with Aussies--like Bon Scott's
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Fraternity, or an interesting act from Perth Martha's Vineyard (actually, I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;think Jeff knew the name...)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Anyroads, I am positive there's so much more for me to discover and try and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;acquire. Therefore, I would like to ask (and I don't seek to stir up another
<DIV></DIV>&gt;chart storm) those of you who have time and are in the mood to help, for
<DIV></DIV>&gt;suggestions. E-mail me (off or to the list) your lists (however short) of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;well-recognized acts and not too obvious ones (like side projects) that you
<DIV></DIV>&gt;reckon to be indispensable to an attempt to have a comprehensive picture of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Australian rock. I don't think I will ever find a more informed community to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ask, nor one with a better taste :-) (I will also be grateful for ideas like
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"best album" by such and such. By random picking, one doesn't necessarily get
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a band's best.)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;There are no restrictions on genres. In fact, diversity is welcome. Just
<DIV></DIV>&gt;what you think is an absolute "must-have".
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Thanks in advance,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Alexei
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;P.S. Does anyone know where on earth I can find Wa Wa Nee? I was told by
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Marty Willson-Piper of The Church that their records can be found in
<DIV></DIV>&gt;second-hand stores in Oz, but I don't have one nearby... not at the moment...
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;