Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC Help - Australian Collection

ALEXEI alexeis@usa.net
24 Oct 2001 16:38:23 EEST

Guys,

As some of you are aware, I am a collector of Australian music.  I think my
collection has grown to become the largest at least in the former Soviet
Union.  I have bands and albums I've long stopped counting -- but never stop
admiring.  Some of them won't ring a bell even with Aussies--like Bon Scott's
Fraternity, or an interesting act from Perth Martha's Vineyard (actually, I
think Jeff knew the name...)

Anyroads, I am positive there's so much more for me to discover and try and
acquire.  Therefore, I would like to ask (and I don't seek to stir up another
chart storm) those of you who have time and are in the mood to help, for
suggestions.  E-mail me (off or to the list) your lists (however short) of
well-recognized acts and not too obvious ones (like side projects) that you
reckon to be indispensable to an attempt to have a comprehensive picture of
Australian rock.  I don't think I will ever find a more informed community to
ask, nor one with a better taste :-)  (I will also be grateful for ideas like
"best album" by such and such.  By random picking, one doesn't necessarily get
a band's best.)

There are no restrictions on genres.  In fact, diversity is welcome.  Just
what you think is an absolute "must-have".

Thanks in advance,

Alexei

P.S. Does anyone know where on earth I can find Wa Wa Nee?  I was told by
Marty Willson-Piper of The Church that their records can be found in
second-hand stores in Oz, but I don't have one nearby... not at the moment...